This website is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or approved by SAP AG.

Should functional expert users stay away from ad-hoc query?

SAP-OTHER (SAP Components and all other issues that do not fall under above categories)

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish

Should functional expert users stay away from ad-hoc query?

Postby cbasah » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:38 pm

Hi all,

Which of the following that SAP HR functional expert user have access to?

a. Ad-hoc query (i.e. Infoset query)
b. Write ABAP reports

FYI, this SAP HR functional expert user sits in HR whose roles include updating PA, PO and TM information.

Thanks.
cbasah

Re: Should functional expert users stay away from ad-hoc query?

Postby Frank Lai » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:52 am

Hi

Unless your user is also ABAP trained how is he/she to write ABAP reports? As to ad-hoc query, if the person is pretty good as things like Microsoft Acces and understand tables joins and have some idea about system performance, it should be OK

Frank
Frank Lai

Re: Should functional expert users stay away from ad-hoc query?

Postby Martin_US » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:28 am

I myself am a System and Application Software Developer, knowing RPG, COBOL, C and others.
Done any number of database design work. When I moved to SAP, I stayed away from ABAP. The reason is that as soon as you let it be known, that you can program, the client will make you.

On the other hand, I am quite capable of doing queries and reports, data extracts and loads.

I think it always depends on a given situation. i.e. data validation, reconciliation and things like that.
I experienced situations where the ABAP crew didn't had time on their hands and I would sit idle until they get down to it. Thus, I rather do it myself and be done with it.

Now, if you have someone unexperienced, who isn't even remotely concerned about performance issues and bangs away with ad-hoc queries in a production environment, I would slap him.

I am with Frank on the experience level needed. None of what a non-ABAPer writes should get into regular production (released to customer) without code review, which I actually think holds true for any program.
Martin_US

Return to SAP Other