This website is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or approved by SAP AG.

Where to get help on: Oracle EBS vs. SAP Business All in One

SAP-OTHER (SAP Components and all other issues that do not fall under above categories)

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish

Where to get help on: Oracle EBS vs. SAP Business All in One

Postby Emmy101 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:04 pm

Hey all,

We're evaluating SAP Business All-in-One and Oracle EBS right now, and Oracle are putting up quite a fight - and if their assertions are correct then SAP have been lying to us... Essentially the core issues come down to:

1) "Unlike SAP, Oracle is designed for more functionality that just gets turned on. From order entry to cash and from procurement to pay, Oracle is the only "out of the box" solution available. You will have to customize SAP to do some basic functionality…even for order entry. The “templates” SAP utilizes are not true Accelerators. They are complex, extremely rigid and difficult to customize".

2) "Oracle's acquisition of smaller ISVs should actually be considered as strength. The integrations you refer to have been minimal but with the introduction of Fusion, it's an automatic strength. Fusion is evidence that Oracle has set the tone for the entire industry. Everyone is excited about Fusion. SAP is light years behind when it comes to integration"

3) "As for CRM, Siebel (now Oracle) is an undisputed leader. CRM consists of Call Tracking, Change Management, Bug Tracking, Sales Force Automation, and Knowledge base. There is no solution that can be compared to Siebel. You will be hard pressed to find one company who utilizes SAP CRM"

4) "Oracle is also an undisputed leader in the area of business intelligence. OBIEE comes with thousands of standards reports for Finance, Manufacturing, Sales, and Marketing that are ready to use. OBIEE is the easiest solution out there to deploy these days. OBIEE will give you an in-depth insight to your key business parameters. The ability to make the right business decision will save you millions of dollars. In contrary, lack of powerful business intelligence tools will cost you a great deal."

5) "Most importantly, you won’t need an army of IT resources to support Oracle. You can host and support Oracle with 2 IT resources. There are no companies out there who are hosting and supporting SAP internally with 2 resources. You would need a minimum of 6 resources just to keep SAP running. If SAP is claiming that their system can be supported with less than that, then I suggest you visit with some of their customers. I am happy to arrange some of those visits myself with current customers who at one time supported SAP. Companies similar to you, had hundreds of people supporting SAP. Remember, SAP runs on the Oracle backend anyway, which is perhaps the easiest part of the system to support but for the front end you would need an quite a few IT folks"

6) "SAP can NEVER be implemented in 2 months. But Oracle can be implemented quickly because they have years of experience with the "Accelerators". Oracle developed the solution to help their clients accomplish record-time implementations. As you learned from *****, we did a larger EBS implementation in less than 4 months"

7) "SAP is a huge, rigid and overwhelming system for a company smaller than $1 billion in revenue. I’m confident that you will regret the decision of SAP in less than a year if you chose to go that direction. The TCO of SAP is usually double Oracle in the first few years alone. You will keep draining money through SAP to the point you will lose focus and won't remember your key business values anymore. This is what a huge and useless ERP system like SAP does to small and mid size companies. That is why SAP does not focus on your space. Any company targeted by SAP in the SMB space is sold and delivered by partners. Oracle on the other hand is designed to take a small company to become giant like GE and Cisco. That is why 80% of all software companies in the SMB space in the Bay Area utilize Oracle"

So, I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask these questions, but if Oracle are correct here I really don't know how SAP are in business!

If anyone has any insights regarding this, I would be most grateful! If there is somewhere else more appropriate to post this, please let me know.

Thanks!

Emmy101
Last edited by thx4allthefish on Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: subject title edited again to correct my mistake about the product in question.
Emmy101

Re: Where to get help on Insights: Oracle EBS vs. SAP Business I

Postby thx4allthefish » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:47 am

Emmy,

I have been moving this from the SAP-Other to the Business One forum. On top of that I took the liberty to edit your subject title, so that readers might get a clue as to what your post is about.
curiousorange wrote:I give up. Humanity isn't worth saving. Why is there never a Vogon Constructor Fleet around when you really need one?
thx4allthefish

Postby thx4allthefish » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:09 am

Emmy101 wrote: You will be hard pressed to find one company who utilizes SAP CRM"

... at least that part is obviously untrue. Check for yourself: how many open jobs for consultants can you find for SAP CRM on the internet (and I do not mean on SAPFans only) - go and get some statistics on that --> here's a place to start.

So, when we have SAP CRM consultants, how come we have no utilization of SAP CRM?

Obviously, you have stumbled upon a enormously aggressive sales manager from Oracle - I would not believe everything s/he said.

Here's another one that galls me:

Most importantly, you won’t need an army of IT resources to support Oracle. You can host and support Oracle with 2 IT resources.

This sentence is so indifferent, that it is outrageous - what IT-persons? Functionals? Database-Admins? Basis-People? Security-People? Networking and communication and printer-setting-people? And why is 6 persons an army?

Companies similar to you, had hundreds of people supporting SAP

Hullo??? This guy is ovbiously comparing apples to oranges - I mean - we are talking SAP Business One!! If there were hundreds of people necessary to support that fracture of a software ... this software would be non-existent! Yes, there are companies that have literally hundreds of SAP supporting persons - global players like the oil industry (I will not name brands) and some others - but as sure as hell those do not use B1 (!!), but a full-blown SAP ERP.

I am tired of picking the argument of that person apart. Look at the semantics - the words used:

• 6 persons = an army
  • hard pressed to find one company using CRM
  • OBIEE comes with thousands of standards reports (I call that an infodump for an average user who knows about 100 s/he uses - at best!)

Do these sound like the arguments of a well-versed, levelheaded person?
curiousorange wrote:I give up. Humanity isn't worth saving. Why is there never a Vogon Constructor Fleet around when you really need one?
thx4allthefish

Postby Emmy101 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:27 am

Hi,

Thanks fish for your comments! However, we are talking about "business all-in-one" - not "business one".. The "business all-in-one" is actually R/3, with best practice templates to reduce implementation time...

I know - SAP created a little confusion when naming this stuff! Not sure which forum this should be in?

Thanks!

Emmy101
Emmy101

Postby thx4allthefish » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:04 pm

sorry - my mistake :oops: - anyway: for the time being, let's leave this topic here and shadow it in SAP-Other.

still, my arguments are valid - at least the CRM and the 'hordes of people' bit.

however - I know nothing of this product, so I will stay out of the discussion (except for moderating) 8)

let's see if any others show up here ...
thx4allthefish

Return to SAP Other