This website is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or approved by SAP AG.

SAP & Bar coding - complete solution

Third Party products such as GuiXT, BMC Patrol, Vertex, Ixos etc...

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish

SAP & Bar coding - complete solution

Postby arvi » Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:26 am

Hi

One of our clients need a complete barcoding solution integrated with SAP. They need to
1. Read bar codes using hand held scanners to SAP.
2. Create bar codes from SAP and print them.

I found a couple of third party software.(zebra - bar one 5.1 for my SAP and one from TEC-IT). Could anybody suggest any other available solutions?

Thank you in advance

regards
arvi

Postby Guest987 » Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:18 pm

This company has an SAP specific solution. Look here:

http://www.amprofessionals.com/keyareas ... uting.html
Guest987

SAP - Barcoding

Postby Lyle » Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:07 am

StreamServe supports a full range of barcoding solutions with SAP.

http://www.streamserve.com
Lyle

Postby SAPINT » Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:32 am

SAPINT

Postby amy126 » Thu May 20, 2004 9:05 am

One of my former companies used Psion Teklogix for a project. Software and hardware were great, the consulting services.....let's just say we had to "manage" the project and keep them on task. Solution was delivered about a month later than planned date, but we were OK with that.
Overall, it was a successful implementation, but that was only because we were very active in the project, and did all the SAP work ourselves. They didn't have anyone experienced enough with automotive Shipping processes to really support us.

On another note, (since this is a 3rd Party forum) I currently work for a consulting company which offers bar-code solutions specific to the automotive industry. If you're interested in further info, send me a PM.
amy126

Postby oldsapguru » Sat May 29, 2004 2:31 pm

Just remember... SAP might need special hardware - such as DIMM or SIMM chips for existing printers - or software - such as BarOne - in order to product bar codes correctly. So whatever your solution, make sure you research the needs exhaustively.

Finding out a printer can't print bar code during GoLive is NOT a fun thing.
oldsapguru

Postby mei » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:58 am

Hi Amy126,

[Overall, it was a successful implementation, but that was only because we were very active in the project, and did all the SAP work ourselves. They didn't have anyone experienced enough with automotive Shipping processes to really support us.]

From your Previous posting, you were saying that you guys did all the SAP work yourselves after implemented the 3rd party solution. May I know what kind of work still need to be done? Are u referring to unit testing, integration testing?

Thanks,
mei

[/quote]
mei

Postby amy126 » Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:34 pm

The process we implemented was the entire WM process. We expected Psion to handle this (especially the delivery picking process) but we ended up writing our own ABAP in SAP to sort all the documents for delivery picking. We also had to write a couple of transactions in SAP to handle MIGO process.

Psion did do all the interface set-up for SAP Console and the RF equipment.

Of course we did all the testing, but we expected this.
amy126

Postby mei » Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:25 pm

I see. Thanks for your reply.

How long does it take for you and the team to do those testings including writing ABAP, SAPscript, unit and integration testing to complete the project? Was it a big project? As trying to estimate the size of the project to the timeline.

Thanks,
Mei
mei

Postby amy126 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:37 pm

The project lasted 5 months. We had a really good ABAP programmer, and he spent about 80 hours writing all necessary programmings.
We spent about 3-4 days learning how the SAP Console worked.

I'd recommend hiring consultants to handle the technical side of the project (unless you have good basis people)
amy126

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:38 pm

In this particular project requiring the est. 80 hrs. of ABAP programming, can you explain at a high level what programming was required and what did the Psion "solution" actually provide? I am curious as to how much development effort the solution actually saved, if any.

Thanks in advance.

Postby mei » Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:05 am

Hi,

Thanks for the infor.

Mei
mei

Return to Third Party Products