Upgrade: anyone ever worked with Panaya?

Third Party products such as GuiXT, BMC Patrol, Vertex, Ixos etc...

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish

thx4allthefish

Upgrade: anyone ever worked with Panaya?

Post by thx4allthefish » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:51 am

i'd like some comments, if you have experience and are about to share it. Is their crawler really as good as they claim, so you can know what repository (role) and other adjustments you have to make - before you even start an upgrade?

i appreciate your input.
thanks in advance.
curiousorange wrote: I give up. Humanity isn't worth saving. Why is there never a Vogon Constructor Fleet around when you really need one?

blueteeth

Re: Upgrade: anyone ever worked with Panaya?

Post by blueteeth » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:43 am

I worked long for a company called Intelligroup. We then developed a tool for upgrade called "Uptimzer' (I know now, there are copycats out there). The tool worked wonders for custom objects and programs and greatly helped ABAP code corrections.

Regarding Panaya, I don't know much about them or the tool. Basically, in any upgrade, Roles/Authorizations cleanup is one painful job (even Uptimizer had no such solution). We used SU25 (2a, 2b, 2c steps) and went the whole hog!!

I don't know if Panaya helps only in Roles/Authorization cleanup or it does something more.

Regards,
BT

thx4allthefish

Post by thx4allthefish » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:12 am

Thank you for your reply, BT.

Actually, Panaya claims (and i have seen the demo, so it seems to be true) to do authorization adjustment (but more decently than SU25 - it names the objects + values that have to be added) as well as repository adjustment of both: customer created objects and modifications/note implementations (combining SE95, SPAM, SPAU, SPDD). The demo showed they do that on codeline level, meaning they actually show in what part of the report/include/yadda the code will crash.

The demo seemed nice enough though ... oh well, nothing for it ... i will do the 'free of charge trial' and come back with the results.
curiousorange wrote: I give up. Humanity isn't worth saving. Why is there never a Vogon Constructor Fleet around when you really need one?

thx4allthefish

Post by thx4allthefish » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:25 am

so ... i will try to summarize what i have learned of 'Upgrade Evaluation Tools' in the last two days.

Atos Origin:

provides an Atos-developed tool (ABAP) which they will copy/paste to your DEV system and run against said DEV system, RFC-linking to PRD to gather data (usage of reports and transactions --> MONI) via ST03N.

Facts:
  • the tool will only run once (!!) to provide the data you need for analysis, after that, Atos deletes it
  • the tool only runs on a DEV system
  • the tool cannot run in background, so you have to switch rdisp/maxwp_runtime to max
  • the tool then creates 69 (!!) folders on your (networking) filesystem, everone of which contains one/more EXCEL files with the results of the run
  • without an additional tool you have to view the EXCEL-files 'as is' - a simple 2-dimensional listing of object names and a couple of other facts, a bit like SE95 in Excel
  • cost: the price of 4 small cars (the ones built and sold in india ...) this including 6 days of consulting (give or take a few)
  • this tool is not certified by SAP
Covered Objects:
  • modifications
  • user exits
  • custom programs/includes
  • cloned programs/includes
Panaya:

provides their tool as a SaaS (Software as a Service), which means they send you an ABAP-Program that you can install at your leisure whereever you want. they also run ST03N as an RFC against your PRD system in order to gain usage data. In contrast to Atos you get an account on their site where you upload the resulting file. Panaya runs the analysis on their system (crawler).

Facts:
  • the tool will run once in a while (usually every week) - the repeated runs are done to monitor your progress ... but i'm coming to that
  • the tool only runs on every system you choose
  • the tool can run in foreground or background
  • the tool then creates 1(big) file which you upload to Panaya
  • Panaya offers you a(n)(unlimited) number of users on their site which provides the software to use during the whole upgrade project
  • cost: depending on the number of objects and then on a monthly basis
  • this tool is certified by SAP
Covered Objects:
  • modifications
  • user exits
  • batch-inputs
  • BADI/BAPI and OO
  • custom programs/includes
  • cloned programs/includes (algorithm to find a clone is to compare the code in a program to every code in SAP programs)
  • queries
  • authorizations
  • SAP notes implemented with/without SNOTE or SM
In Addition:
  • objects to be tested, prioritised: must be tested (on doubleclick the reasons are given) / can be neglected
  • project planning and cost tool
  • working tool (every item found that has to be adapted creates a task) - to work on tasks and maintain status for progress
  • all the objects to be adapted are shown on codeline-level (for clones in 3 aspects: 1. SAP original versus your clone today) 2. SAP orginal today versus SAP original in target release 3.) your clone today versus SAP original in target release)
  • to document progress periodical (weekly) updates of the files are necessary - and here's the sugar bit: if there is further development done during the upgrade project, this will be found and new tasks will be created for those objects 8)
  • and i feel like i have forgotten a lot of other things already ... :|
those guys at Panaya really overwhelmed me. the demo was done with said file out of one of our own PRD systems (not DEV, since we plan to rebuild DEV to get rid of all the rubbish) and every aspect presented (web-based + telco).

need i say more?

ETA: Panaya does described analysis within 48 hours.

The Prince Of Darkness
Location: Either on a train or in a pub (if neither, arguing with an Eastern Block work colleague)

Post by The Prince Of Darkness » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:48 am

Thanks for the detailed analysis Fish. The choice seems very clear to me now.

I will give Atos a call after lunch to order.
Former SAP PM, looking to move in Lawn Mower business

thx4allthefish

Post by thx4allthefish » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:01 am

The Prince Of Darkness wrote:Thanks for the detailed analysis Fish. The choice seems very clear to me now.

I will give Atos a call after lunch to order.
I appreciate your decision, PoD ... you always seemed to be a very wise person :lol: :lol: :roll:

harishkollipara

Post by harishkollipara » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:56 am

Hi
I need to find the list of cloned programs in SAP system.
Can anyone help me?

thx4allthefish

Post by thx4allthefish » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:22 am

Panaya can. contact them. if you want to, i can give you a contact address. in that case PM me.

thx4allthefish

Post by thx4allthefish » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:51 am

I am coming back to this one, reporting on experiences ... just in case someone is interested.

Panaya as a company

They are well organised, in a way you will not encounter often: first you meet your sales-person who will pass you on to your overall contact person, going all the byways of having a training which your contact person arranges with the teacher. everything virtual. you never have to deal with a bunch of self-promoting consultants onsite, demanding social skills - none of that. Panaya is efficient, brutally so: you have a question, you push a button and within a couple of hours, there will be a feedback (mail, usually - phone, sometimes). I am pretty aware, that some managers have difficulties with this kind of business partnership (needing face-to-face negotiations) - but me, I find this one to be perfect: right to business, down on our needs, no dawdling. they pass on requests smoothly internal, there's no reminding them of anything, there are no delays. this is most enjoyable.

Panaya's tool for upgrades

Every promise they made, they have proven true. Clones: they even do provide cross-references between transport requests that included the same object. Autorisations: I was able to open calls with SAP on subjects even before the test-upgrade started. By working down the long list of tasks you will get from them, you will be able to manage perfectly, even if tasks are assigned to different people (like in user-exits ... let us say MV45AFZZ) you are perfectly capable of knowing what it might interfere with. A dream, really.

Of late, they have introduced a new feature (with no additional costs to existing customers) - autoadjusting code whereever possible, there's an icon provided where auto-adjustments can be made ... you can simply download the adjustments to your SAP system.

Do I sound like a Panaya-salesperson now (which I am most definitely not) ?? Here's for the nuisances, downsides:
  • the provided tool does work only with IE7 satisfactory. IE8 is more than difficult (I actually had to downgrade) and Firefox, even in version 3.5.8 is unable to provide the list of -let's say "Open tasks" correctly, unless you open the FRAME itself in a new tab or window.
  • scaling the windows to more than 100% provides you with the subject lines outreaching the frame of the window. Which is kind of usable - for persons with good eyesight, but annoying to those of us with glasses ... the overall look and feel is of a WebDynpro-application, so IMHO not so enjoyable ...
  • there is an open issue with clones where the tool will close the tasks on the reason of: the object being no longer existent- which is quite untrue, the object still exists, is still a clone and still needs adjusting - I have an open call with Panaya on that one.
  • they do tend to have a couple of JAVA-issues, so it can happen that, whilst working on your task-list, all of a sudden, no link you click will work any longer ... just like in your everage WebDynpro for Java application in any NetWeaver portal (so you might already be used to it, but it is still annoying)
  • overall the tool could do with a lot of improvement (as in user-friendly)

Taking all this in, one is only asking oneself: why didn't anybody else come up with a real good idea and solution like this before??? It's not like this is the first upgrade we were ever doing, yes?

blueteeth

Post by blueteeth » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:03 am

why didn't anybody else come up with a real good idea and solution like this before???
Hello,

As I mentioned earlier, at Intelligroup, we came with this tool Uptimizer long long time back...in year 2000.

Regards,
BT

thx4allthefish

Post by thx4allthefish » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:44 am

Hi BT,

yes, I had not forgotten, you mentioned that. But you said it yourself, that was in 2000 - a decade ago. In between then and now I have not heard of any other tools in that department ...