This website is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or approved by SAP AG.

Archiving

Third Party products such as GuiXT, BMC Patrol, Vertex, Ixos etc...

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish

Postby Guest on Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:06 am

Instead of taking trouble to backup everything the robust way is to have DVD Jukebox. Can you imagine a juke box with 60 DVDs (4gig*60 = 240gig) you could have as many as you like.

>> SAP Archiving and Document Management

Postby Pete M on Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:14 am

Well, the neat thing about a real archiving solution is the administration and setup criteria according to which you can manage archiving procedures. When deciding, there are a couple of things to be considered :
- as mentioned before, do you just want to archive data or also documents
- the nice thing about archived documents (i am talking own/outbound) is that if they are referenced with the SAP Index criteria they can be made available outside of SAP (f.e. in other applications or to non-SAP users)
- if you want to make non-SAP documents available in SAP, an archiving solution takes care of these documents without blowing up the SAP DB
- also, there are nice solutions available for integrated document classification, which hand-over read index criteria to SAP

In my experience, Ixos is a very stable SAP archiving tool, but it is too expensive and very limited beyond SAP archiving (no concurrent user licensing, no own client)

FileNet is very nice beyond SAP but even more expensive

Easy is cheaper but technically very limited - the development of the archiving server hasn't really been progressing over the past years

If you have any questions, i'll try to answer them...

Greetings,

Pete
Pete M

Previous

Return to Third Party Products