This website is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or approved by SAP AG.

Archiving

Third Party products such as GuiXT, BMC Patrol, Vertex, Ixos etc...

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish

Archiving

Postby Uh-Huh » Thu Feb 13, 2003 11:53 am

Besides IXOS and Sigma's PBS, can anybody recommed a good Archiving software solution?
Uh-Huh

Postby Snowy » Thu Feb 13, 2003 12:19 pm

I don't know any other, but iXOS is king. If you have the money, better go with the best.

Snowy

P.S... you probably have the money if you are using SAP !
Snowy

Archiving

Postby SHW » Fri Feb 14, 2003 1:22 pm

You might want to check out dolphin-corp.com. They do IXOS implementations, much cheaper. They also resell the PBS Archive Add ons. Sigma is just a reseller also - check references.
SHW

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 17, 2003 5:44 am

Hi,

You also have DOCUMENTUM, CEYONIC, EASY ARCHIVE.
But the principles are all the same.

Kind regards

Postby lex » Thu Feb 20, 2003 4:25 am

Hi,

the answer is easy: It depends on your requirements!

If you need a product which focuses on archiving, IXOS should be the right choice.

If you also need document management functionality, then documentum would be better.

lex
lex

IBM Content Manager CommonStore for SAP

Postby GARTHY » Thu Feb 20, 2003 5:45 am

I would be happy to discuss IBM's suite of solutions for SAP Data and content management.
GARTHY

Third Party Tools

Postby Archiver » Mon Feb 24, 2003 3:11 pm

I would be more than happy to discuss Archiving solutions with you. We specialize in IXOS and are experienced with EASY Software and I assure you we can do it at a lower rate.

Regards,
Mark
mark.minich@xinim.com
Archiver

Re: IBM Content Manager CommonStore for SAP

Postby Frannie » Wed Mar 05, 2003 10:59 am

GARTHY wrote:I would be happy to discuss IBM's suite of solutions for SAP Data and content management.

Hi Garthy,
I am kind of interested in IBM Websphere and SAP Content Management... A comparison between the two do you reckon is possible?

Another question is: could I use let's FileNet as Document Repository and Websphere Content Publishing Solution as Collaboration?

Thanks,

Frannie.

[mailto:francescamaria@libero.it]
Frannie

Re: ARCHIVING

Postby pvcharan » Wed Jun 25, 2003 2:34 am

Uh-Huh wrote:Besides IXOS and Sigma's PBS, can anybody recommed a good Archiving software solution?

Hi there

Pls. find the info about this great Archiving Tool...

Archive Pac: Shows what is contained in the client's Database. Shows what transactions cause Database growth. Analyzes the rate of growth of the database. Reports on who uses this data and when it is used. Calculates how much storage space is needed. Assists in planning for storage media. Shows how much a client can save in data storage by archiving. Shows what can be archived. Calculates how long the archiving process should take. Helps a client plan the need for quick data retrieval. Overall goal is to enhance response time and transaction performance.

Revert me for more info.
Charan...
pvcharan

SAP Data Archiving Solution

Postby dd synergy » Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:56 pm

My suggestion for anyone that is looking for an SAP Archiving solution to look at the skills of your internal people first. If your team has not implemented SAP Data Archiving then I suggest that you find a solution partner that has the experience and the references to provide you with a solution.

SAP Data Archiving is a business issue that needs to be dealt with by experienced people who can deal with the business as well as the technical issues.

d.d. synergy has been successfully implementing SAP Data and document archiving solutions for many years and we would be happy to arrange a conference call to discuss your business requirements. We provide a wide range of archiving solutions to match the level of assistance that you need to get your SAP Data Archiving project started, planned, and successfully implemented.

Please let me know how we can help.

Yours truly,
Terry Lewis
VP, dd synergy
terry.lewis@ddsynergy.ca
dd synergy

what about filenet ?

Postby fagirm » Sun May 23, 2004 7:31 am

It depends on what you want to achieve.
I recommend FileNet products if you really want to use other facilities two, like Enterprise Content Management, Web Content Management and Bussiness Process Management.
for more information .. just let me know or check http://www.filenet.com
Mahmoud
AIX, DB2, SAP BASIS Administrator
fagirm

Re: ARCHIVING

Postby mysapadm » Tue May 25, 2004 7:38 am

[quote="Uh-Huh"]Besides IXOS and Sigma's PBS, can anybody recomme

Hi

think about the basics of reading in a table - via an index. Now what principal ways you can imagine to store the index - inside or outside of
the database. The strenght of PBS is that is stores the index outside of
the database. And Ixos ? Or any other kind of tool ?
Now check your database. What is the amount of space used for indices ?
And what is the amount of space used for data ? Now you can calculate
If you want to store documents everything is different.
Don't forget it makes sense to measure the growth rate per archiving
object - and that several times or better periodically
good luck
mysapadm

Archiving

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:21 am

Well, it would seem that unlike most other responses on this thread, I'm not trying to sell you anything. I'll just give you honest advice based on 3 years experience as a SAP data archiving consultant.

Like some have said, it all depends on what you want to achieve.

If you merely want to manage your SAP database tables, and retain the archived data for industry and legislative requirements, then you don't actually need any third party archiving equipment. SAP will archive table data to files, which you can then store on any data storage system (e.g. file server). It's that simple.

Where it starts to get complicated, is if you want to start doing other things too, like inbound/outbound document storage, print list archiving, document management etc. In these cases, you need to use an archive management system - specifically one which is SAP ArchiveLink certified and endorsed.

iXos is one of these (iXos was, for a while anyway, part-owned by SAP), and iXos will make great claims about the fact that ArchiveLink was developed by them in conjunction with SAP (this is true). They will also make claims that, because of this, their system works better than other systems (this is salesman bunk!) So long as the system has been approved by SAP and is ArchiveLink certified, SAP will connect to that system as easily as the next.

First step, is to decide what your business wants to actually achieve. You can start off with simple table data archiving, for which you don't need an expensive optical solution. If the business then decides it wants to achieve other objectives which require an optical storage system, then all the archived table data files can be moved onto this new system once it has been installed, and you can then make use of the further functionality that the storage management software provides.

Let me know if this has been a help, and if you need any further info on the subject.

best regards,

Mark

Re: Archiving

Postby (Archiving guest) » Fri Oct 29, 2004 2:04 am

Thank you Mark for your last reply.

My client needs an archiving method for legal requirements.
After they close fiscal period they need two copies of fiscal data
to be archived in two different places.
(Backup of other is suitable..)

Also they need to see and inspect those archived documents
that already has been vanished from production.

So, what I think is, SARA is practical for this. Or is it?

Ok here is my proposal..
First we define for SARA what tables we need to archive.
We set up one separate server which holds the archived data.
Then we have an separate archive database.

Once data is archived/deleted, SAP’s Archive Information System (AIS)
enables the users to browse archived data via SARI, Archive Explorer.

The amount of data stored in AIS is customizable in the info structures that you set up
(SARI, Customizing) when implementing an archive object.
SARI queries satisfy the archived data browsing needs of our client.

Also, SAP’s Document Relationship Browser (DRB) functionality
(trans alo1) enables the users to utilize AIS for browsing a mix of
archived and non-archived data in a document-flow type presentation.

This is one easy way to do it.
What do you think?

Br, Janne
(Archiving guest)

Table archiving

Postby MarkW » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:33 am

That proposal sounds perfectly adequate to me.

You can archive the data to a file server, take backup copies of these files to a CD/DVD and store them off site (satisfying the disaster recovery requirements).

You can then set up your AIS info structure(s) to interrogate and display the data accordingly. Also, don't forget that you can create new info structures and/or delete and recreate existing info structures after you have started archiving. New info structures in the AIS can be "back-filled" with existing archive data, which means that the solution can be quite flexible.

You should ensure that you have verified with the local auditors that the type of data and the method of retrieval and display are satisfactory to them. Don't forget that in some countries the storage of financial data on volatile media is not acceptable for audit purposes (as the modifiable nature of the media means that the data <i>could</i> have been changed. They therefore insist that the data is stored on a non-modifiable media format (such as WORM or closed CD-R discs).

Hope this helps. Let me know if this prompts any further questions, and if I can help.

Mark W.
regards,

MarkW
MarkW

Next

Return to Third Party Products