What does an IDOC do?

Interfaces (ALE, IDOC, RFC, EDI etc.)

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish

Squarebear

What does an IDOC do?

Post by Squarebear » Thu Jul 10, 2003 5:06 am

I've got to go through a number of inbound IDOC interfaces and write a one-liner on what each of them does (e.g. create delivery or post goods issue or whatever).

I thought this would be easy but the only way I can see to do this is to go to WE64, look at the description (eg DESADV="Delivery:Shipping Notification") which gives me some idea, then look at the function module linked to the process code and read the code/comments in the function module hoping to find some specific comment / code.

It's hardly fool-proof.

Is there not a more efficient means of finding this out, please?

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 10, 2003 6:35 am

Hi,
It is very difficult to make a judgement of what a particular IDOC does by looking at the descriptions of the Process codes.

As you say....this guess work is hardly fool-proof.

A slighly better way of doing is to Read Documentation of the Function Module that the Process Code points to.
If the Func. Module documentation is available then it can give you a fair idea of the functionality of that IDOC.

On the contrary, you are again back to sqare one.

Another tedious way is to prepare the set-up for that IDOC and use the test tool (WE19) to build up a reasonably good data and try to Process the Inbound Idoc.

After that, using your functional knowledge try to figure out which context that IDOC is meant for and what all postings it did. With this you will be able to get an idea about the working of that IDOC.

Alternatively, try to look at the SAP helpfiles where in under the heading:

"BC - IDoc Interface: EDI Application Scenarios "

you will get a list of Application Scenarios that will give you some idea.

Hope this helps you a bit.

-AT