This website is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or approved by SAP AG.

Multiple copies with color background

Development SAPscript/ Smartforms

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish, YuriT, Gothmog

Multiple copies with color background

Postby sapfans_user » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:15 am

Hi,

As of now, invoices are being printed on dot matrix printer where the paper feed has 3 copies - a white copy, a yellow and a pink copy.
I have a requirement to do the same via SAP using smartforms, and the paper feed will definitely be plain white A4 paper.

NAST-ANZAL gives the number of copies, but how to achieve this change of background color per copy?
Also, if I define that color as the background of one or more windows, how will I get the smartform to re-iterate
through the FIRST and NEXT pages - once with white background, a second time with yellow and then a third time with pink?

Any ideas would be highly appreciated.
sapfans_user

Re: Multiple copies with color background

Postby BradB » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:39 am

I don't think you should use a color printer to achieve that - it would be much cheaper to use colored paper. How many trays does your printer have? Can't you load the paper accordingly then pull from the corresponding trays for the different copies? How are the pages/copies collated? 1-1-1, 2-2-2, etc. or 1-2-3, 1-2-3, etc.
Ironman Triathlete and SAP Dev/Config Expert
(which is harder?)
BradB

Postby sapfans_user » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:00 am

Thanks for your reply. Indeed a lot of toner ink would be used up in coloring background.
Regarding the collating option that you mentioned, can SAP send out printouts with
collation sequence of 1-1-1, 2-2-2 ? If so, can you pls. explain how it is achieved?
I was under the impression that SAP can only do multiple copies of 1-2-3 type of printouts
(in other words re-sending the same spool multiple times).

I searched the forums for collate questions, and did not find any replies to questions asked.
sapfans_user

Postby BradB » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:31 am

Hard to say without knowing your setup and config. For a single invoice, you can easily send copy 1 to tray 1, then copy 2 to tray 2, etc. by skipping the 'copies' field and making a single call for a single copy each time within a DO loop. Mass processing and spool merging gets a little trickier but it can certainly be done, most easily using different logical print queues. What I was more curious about was the end result - do all the whites go in one stack or does it go white, yellow, pink, white, yellow, pink, etc.? How you approach it is going to be determined by whether or not mass processing is happening, how the stacks of paper match up in the end, how many spools/queues you can use, etc.
(which is harder?)
BradB

Postby sapfans_user » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:16 am

The problem is that the multi-colored pre-printed stationary is purchased in a stack.
The paper stack has one page of each color - say - white-pink-yellow-white-pink-yellow
Each of these set of 3 (or 4 colors) comes with a pre-printed number on it.

So, without doing a whole lot of manual re-shuffling of those pages, the following is what we plan to achieve
a) load the same stack into a single tray in the printer (this will have all 3 colors white-pink-yellow-white-pink-yellow)
b) Have SAP print out documents in the following collating sequence page1-page1-page1, page2-page2-page2, etc...

So far, as long as a document does not overflow to multi-page (i.e. it is only a Page 1/1 type of printout),
the above set up works fine.
The problem arises when SAP has to print out a multi page spool onto the paper loaded in step (a).
That is because SAP sends out a "two copies" of a 3 page printout in the following sequence
-----> Page 1/3, Page 2/3, page 3/3, Page 1/3, Page 2/3, Page 3/3 etc...
Which end up using white->pink->yellow->white pages :-(
If SAP (ie. Smartforms, or SAP Script) could send out pages in the collation sequence page1-page1-page1, page2-page2-page2
then the stationery could be used in a proper manner.
sapfans_user

Postby BradB » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:38 am

Hmmmm...unfortunately, that sounds like a 'cart-before-the-horse' solution. If you can't get different stock, serialize the forms yourself at runtime using a number range, and use multiple trays, then the only thing I can think of is to look at the single-page printing option in SP01.

Generate the 3 spools (no immediate output), 1 for each copy you need, and track the numbers in your program, along with the number of pages in each spool. If there's one page in each spool, just print each spool in turn. If there is more than 1, TRY a loop process to print the pages in the order that you need. If you look at the page print option in SP01, you'll see that it uses RSPO_IRSTART_JOB to print the selected page range. Perhaps you can call this function successively spool by spool, page by page to generate the correct sequence.

I've seen many posts about spool splitting or splitting of the OTF data internally but never any succesful solutions. If you've got ADS installed, you may also want to look into that and see what capabilities the ADS engine has. I've just started working with that and can't offer much advice there. Perhaps someone else can.
(which is harder?)
BradB

Postby Vindaloo » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:15 pm

I have done something similar quite a while back for a delivery note. The requirement was to print 5 copies of a delivery, with each copy using the same item data, but in a slightly different format and with a different coloured font, borders and shading.

Firstly I defined the 5 different pages, and named them according to the colour of the output. For simplicity each of these pages points to itself as the next page (but in actual fact each coloured copy had a different Next page and terms & conditions on the reverse of the first page only).
Then I populated an internal table with the names of the 5 different colours required. This was done in the Initialisation section.
In the smartform Main window I looped around this internal table, and then inside this loop I put the usual Item loop etc.
After the item loop, but still within the Colour loop, I had several commands set up to start a new page. Each of these commands had a condition which meant they were only executed if the relevant Colour was being processed, i.e. only start the new Red page when the Green page had finished outputting the item table.
Once the New Page had been issued, the item loop was started again and so the next copy was generated in a different colour.

In your case I wouldn't even attempt to colour the whole background of each page - it will become very expensive in terms of ink / toner. If your printer has 3 trays available then you can assign each Page to a different tray, each with a different coloured sheet. Your Page definitions for each colour would then contain identical windows - mine had to have different windows anyway because each coloured page was slightly different. One limitation I had was that, although you could control the font colour using different styles, you couldn't dynamically alter the colour borders and shading. This meant that if I had a window that was common across the different coloured pages, I could only resuse it on different pages if there were no borders.

Code: Select all
(initialisation section)
APPEND 'RED' to i_color
APPEND 'GREEN' to i_color
APPEND 'BLUE' to i_color
APPEND 'YELLOW' to i_color
APPEND 'PURPLE' to i_color

(Main window)
i_color loop

Item loop
    {text elements etc.}
  End Item loop

New-page 'Purple', condition current page = 'Yellow'
  New-page 'Yellow', condition current page = 'Blue'
  New-page 'Blue', condition current page = 'Green'
  New-page 'Green', condition current page = 'Red'

End i_color loop

Note the sequence of the new-page commands are in the reverse order of the pages being output, to prevent all of the conditions being true on the first pass.

This was all a few years ago - I no longer have access to the system so it's all from memory. I hope it helps!

Regards,
Vindaloo
Vindaloo

Return to SAPscript/Smartforms