This website is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or approved by SAP AG.

Suggestions for good books?

Development (ABAP Development WorkBench, ABAP/4 programming)

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish, YuriT, Gothmog

Suggestions for good books?

Postby zededdison » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:19 am

Hello,
been a few years since I was around here, how times change.. My company requires me to be a SAP developer now......
Anyway, can anyone recommend good books for learning SAP development from scratch?

I guess I'm after something to try to get up to speed in ABAP as fast as possible and/or a decent reference.
If it covers Smartforms & SAPScript then that'd be useful too.

I'm coming from the world of Oracle where I found the O'Reilly book "Oracle PL/SQL Programming" to be kind of perfect - it could be used like a reference manual but also was readable enough to approach in a cover-to-cover manner.

Sorry if this information sitting somewhere on the site which I missed, I tried to have a look but didn't really spot anything. Also couldn't find the forum search, was it removed?
Thanks in advance
zededdison

Re: Suggestions for good books?

Postby Gothmog » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:36 am

The forum search is on the right of the top banner.

I've found "ABAP Objects: ABAP Programming in SAP NetWeaver", by Horst Keller and Sascha Krüger, to be quite helpful a few years ago.
I'm not sure if in covers smartforms or spacripts, though.
68 74 74 70 3a 2f 2f 74 69 6e 79 75 72 6c 2e 63 6f 6d 2f 62 64 6f 37 6d 77 67
Gothmog

Postby zededdison » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:40 am

Oh yes I see the search.. Gosh I'm blind, sorry!

Would you also recommend that book for non-OO ABAP also?

I don't particularly get on with OO and if I can avoid it I typically will :) I heard that a lot of the custom code in my company is not typically using OO features of the language. But what do I know? :D
zededdison

Postby Gothmog » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:56 am

This book includes most non-OO ABAP (at least it did in the version I read). As SAP is pushing their OO ABAP, you won't find easily a book that focusses on non-OO ABAP, except if you dig up an old one.
Your company is far from being the only one to still use old school ABAP rather than OO, by the way - but knowing OO will make it easier to follow most of the recent development in SAP standard, even if you don't mainly use it in your custom developments.
68 74 74 70 3a 2f 2f 74 69 6e 79 75 72 6c 2e 63 6f 6d 2f 62 64 6f 37 6d 77 67
Gothmog

Return to ABAP