Comprehending Abap

Development (ABAP Development WorkBench, ABAP/4 programming)

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish, YuriT, Gothmog

AbapMate

Comprehending Abap

Post by AbapMate » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:03 pm

Hi everyone,

My objective is to comprehend sap programs completely. I have some functional experience, less than 4 years. I would be very thankful, if the senior abapers can guide me in the right direction. I am totally dumb when it comes to codes and debugging and was looking to start in the right direction. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,
AbapMate
Last edited by AbapMate on Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Rich

Re: Reading Abap

Post by Rich » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:57 am

---> Exit.

There are two different parts to your question.

The first answer is simple. You can already read ABAP programs. They're written in English.

The second part is comprehending ABAP programs. That is not so simple, and comprehension (or lack of) causes lots of problems. You will not be able to comprehend any computer language over night and without any experience. For example, what are the different internal table types and what are their uses ? Why should you not use magic numbers and strings ? how should they be implemented. Global Variables ? Yeah. That'll do - stick them all at the top regardless of scope.

How about Selects and joins ?

There are many nuances to any computer language and apart from Baltic DC's, I've yet to find a programmer in the various DC's I've been to that even understands (let alone uses) for example hash tables and the reasons why Global variables are a very very bad thing.

So, If you do not have any programming experience at all, I would suggest you pin down a programmer, point to the bit of code that is confounding you and say 'What does that do'.

If you've got some programming experience then buy one of the many Teach Yourself ABAP books that are out there and read that.
Regards

Rich

Abap KC:http://www.richard-harper.me.uk/Kb
SFMDR:http://www.se37.com

VLozano

Post by VLozano » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:45 am

Amen
Tuly Idiots
Because we know we are part of the problem

YuriT

Post by YuriT » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:01 am

Think of something useful, take an ABAP book and write it. Report, dialog, form. By the time you finish you will be able to read and debug ABAP on a level quite acceptable for a functional consultant.

BGE_George

Post by BGE_George » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:33 am

Baltic DC?? That is a new one for me. A DC from the Baltics is my guess ? What is a DC ? or am I totally off the mark here ? Rich. Kindly educate this ignorant me.
Still learning...... Will it ever stop ?
SAP Njoi !!

Rich

Post by Rich » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:42 am

A Delivery Centre. Primarily Riga. I came across some of the best "new" programmers I've seen there.

Some even come back to haunt me occaisionally....
Regards

Rich

AbapMate

Post by AbapMate » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:57 pm

First of all i would like to thank everybody for taking their time and helping me. Second i totally agree with the Rich and YuriT regarding the approach they have suggested for me. So here is what i am planning to do and please feel free to share your thoughts.

1. Get a good beginning ABAP book.
2. Get system access.
3. Start Debugging SAPMV45A to understand and COMPREHEND line by line, since i have my little experience in SD/LE.
4. Ask for help when stuck.

Thank you all again for your help, i really appreciate it.
Best Regards,
AbapMate

VLozano

Post by VLozano » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:59 am

When I started to learn ABAP (I've just crossed the line between "newbie" and "fresher") I used a different approach: when I had access to a system (a test one, of course), I looked for a place where to find doubts of other people to work with.

I mean, I found more useful to try to solve other's prolems than to debug the system, some of their programs seem to be made by psychotic people :P

If you want to debug a program, just try to find a Z* one, better if made by a colleague you'll be able to ask questions about it (the program, not the colleague).

If you have a big amount of cash to invest, or a Noble car to spare, just contact Rich. If you prefer young people to learn from, or you don't understand old Middle Age English, ask YuriT (but you will need more cash and some candy). Feel free to contact me if you don't care about learn anything but you feel the urge to give free cash to anyone :P
Tuly Idiots

Rich

Post by Rich » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:40 am

AbapMate wrote:3. Start Debugging SAPMV45A to understand and COMPREHEND line by line,
Now that's a mission. If I was you I would start with something slightly smaller. And in any case it won't help you one jot to understand SAPMV45A line by line.
Regards

Rich

AbapMate

Post by AbapMate » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:28 pm

Thanks again for all the help and input and i greatly appreciate it. I have been out of the market for a long time due to some personal issues and i am working on minimum wage but soon i'll overcome my hurdle and i'll be allowed to pursue my career again. My experience includes 2 years of customizing and 1 1/2 years of roll outs with numerous implementations, and by no means i stand a chance against platinum consultants with 10+ years of LEGIT experience :wink:. I am not looking for big bucks, i just want to rip the vanilla apart for better understanding which would help me with my future projects. I am willing to invest in my career without a problem, but i have mentioned my limit on the candy. Thank you all again for your help, but i'll rip SAPMV45A apart ultimately. I got my hands on some basic abap material and was going through some OOP principles, it doesn't seem hard to understand but when i look at the standard code my brain freezes :shock:. I got the system access and 3 hours a day to accomplish this mission as i have to work my butt off to survive and i would greatly appreciate if my seniors can help me when stuck. So the starting point is BC400 and MiniSap, i know i'll get stuck, i know it will be hard and i know it's going to take a long time but i am determined. I would only ask for help when i am completely helpless and every effort on my part has been exhausted. Again thank you very much all of you :)

Peace :)
AbapMate

YuriT

Re: Comprehending Abap

Post by YuriT » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:09 am

You sound like a nice guy, so I just have to tell you, debugging SAPMV45A was sort of a joke. (I really hope no one actually thinks it is a good idea). Like Rich pointed out, forget about it, It will do nothing except majorly confuse you. It's like learning to read, reading book on organic chemistry.

Look at some custom reports. Find them on the web or write something yourself.

VLozano

Post by VLozano » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:49 am

My second "Amen" in this thread ;)
Tuly Idiots

AbapMate

Post by AbapMate » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:20 pm

Hi Guys again, thanks Yuri i totally understand what you mean. Debugging SAPMV45A has been a long time dream since my sap days, but that's my goal. I also mentioned that my starting point is BC400 and MiniSap, so for now that's what i have been working on. I appreciate everyone's help and advice, hopefully i'll get to my goal eventually. But i'll post my questions and confusion :) here from time to time and i would appreciate if my seniors can help me out. Thank you all again ....

Peace
AbapMate