Material Master(MM01) Data Upload

Development (ABAP Development WorkBench, ABAP/4 programming)

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish, YuriT, Gothmog

Sanjay

Material Master(MM01) Data Upload

Post by Sanjay » Mon Oct 21, 2002 10:57 pm

I have encountered a peculiar problem in MM01 material master upload. The BDC program uploads data using Session method. The problem is when i process the session in foreground mode the data uploads successfully, but when i process it in background mode it gives the following errors in the log.

'Control Framework: Fatal error - GUI cannot be reached'.
'Runtime error RAISE_EXCEPTION has occurred'.

When i debugged the program i found that this error is encountered when data is being input in 'Purchase Order text' editor of MM01 transaction. There is no problem with the BDC recording or the program as i could see. The only problem what i believe is the system is unable to call the text editor for inputting purchase order text data in background mode.

It will be of great help to me as there are 15000 material records to uploaded using BDC sessions method in background mode.

Thanks in advance.

TwoABAPers

Post by TwoABAPers » Mon Oct 21, 2002 11:20 pm

Sanjay.

As an alternate, you can use FM's INIT_TEXT and SAVE_TEXT for creating those free texts, rather than doing it in BDC.

Regards
Sudhir/Mohit.

strohj

Post by strohj » Tue Oct 22, 2002 4:39 am

You basically have a few choice here:

A normal BDC usnig transaction MM01 and then load your PO(or any other long texts) seperately

A normal BDC using transaction MMZ1 ( I think the long text works on it, not sure)...

Use LSMW... and direct input... VERY fast.. but once again you have to load the long texts seperately...

Use CATTs...

Manish

Post by Manish » Tue Oct 22, 2002 4:52 am

Hi
It is giving this exception error , as u have used WS_UPLOAD
function module. You cannot call this function in background

Regards
Manish

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 22, 2002 9:56 am

Just forget BDC -- it's a dog and SLOOOOOOOOW. Use Direct input program --if you have LSMW (Legacy system migration iworkbench) it will guide you through all the steps to create a DI program and help you set up the data structures etc.

Sanjay

Post by Sanjay » Wed Oct 23, 2002 12:18 am

Hi All,

I don't have LSMW installed here and also it's not available here. I also tried with MMZ1, but the problem persists. The PO text editor is not getting called when the session is processed in background mode. Since there are around 15000 material records to be uploaded, the client is insisting on using the BDC session method.
So please help if any other solution is possible.

Thanx & Regards
Sanjay

TwoABAPers

Post by TwoABAPers » Wed Oct 23, 2002 12:41 am

TwoABAPers wrote:Sanjay.

As an alternate, you can use FM's INIT_TEXT and SAVE_TEXT for creating those free texts, rather than doing it in BDC.

Regards
Sudhir/Mohit.
The long texts cannot be uploaded using BDCs.
The best bet would be using direct input method i.e., program RMDATIND for uploading material master along with all long texts.

And if you wish not to change your approach i.e. you wish to use BDC, call the BDC alright for everything else, but for texts use these FMs. These are simple and reliable.. only if you don't want to use them, they will not work. SAP uses the same FMs for free texts.

You can keep digging otherwise, and would probably get a solution which will do the same at 10 times the programming efforts, and runtime cost.

Regards
Sudhir/Mohit

Sanjay

Post by Sanjay » Wed Oct 23, 2002 2:20 am

Hi Sudhir/Mohit,

Where and how shall i use the FM's INIT_TEXT & SAVE_TEXT in my program to upload PO text? Shall i write a different program altogether !!Can you give me some clue.

Regards
Sanjay

TwoABAPers

Post by TwoABAPers » Wed Oct 23, 2002 2:44 am

After each loop pass in your BDC, once the material is created successfully, before ending the loop, call these FMs.

Regards.

strohj

LSMW not available??

Post by strohj » Wed Oct 23, 2002 5:31 am

LSMW is free from SAP... can be downloaded form their site...

Definitely look into it...

littlerook

FMs for Long text entry into trans MM01 (basic data text)

Post by littlerook » Wed Feb 12, 2003 6:31 pm

Thank you, twoAbapers, I have worked several hours today trying to get my BDC to enter long text into the Basic Data Text page. I will try the FM's and hopefully my problem is solved!

:D