execute in background process

Development (ABAP Development WorkBench, ABAP/4 programming)

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish, YuriT, Gothmog

angiebrian

execute in background process

Post by angiebrian » Mon Oct 21, 2002 5:37 pm

I make an ABAP program that generates some ascii files, those files are exported by the program to a specific root on my PC, when I run the program On-Line the files are generated on the location I already captured, but when I execute it in a background process the files are not generated but there is no error in the log and it says that the termination of the program was correct. I'm using CALL FUNCTION "WS_DOWNLOAD" to do this.

Thanks in advance.
Angelica

harradine

Post by harradine » Mon Oct 21, 2002 6:06 pm

Angelica

I think you will find that to be typical behaviour of batch processing as there is no guarantee that you PC will be available when the job runs. Try putting it on a network drive instead.

Regards

Kevin
A rooster one day and a feather-duster the next!

Vitamin

Post by Vitamin » Mon Oct 21, 2002 7:52 pm

Hi Angelica,

In order for you to download a file by using processing mode background,
you have to use OPEN DATASET instead of WS_DOWNLOAD.

Cheers.
Vitamin.

TwoABAPers

Post by TwoABAPers » Mon Oct 21, 2002 8:36 pm

Angelica.

The basic difference between foreground and background is, foreground means, the process execution is shared between your SAP GUI session on your local PC and the application server. Whereas background process uses the resources of application server, i.e., runs on application server.

WS_DOWNLOAD, or for that matter any of the FMs which involve your GUI, or local PC will not work when a background process is involved, for one simple reason that there is no way for the process to identify which local PC to refer to.

We hope now you have some better understanding of why WS_DOWNLOAD does not work when you execute from background. As Vitamin suggested, use DATASETS instead.

Regards
Sudhir/Mohit

Re: execute in background process

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 23, 2002 10:07 am

angiebrian wrote:I make an ABAP program that generates some ascii files, those files are exported by the program to a specific root on my PC, when I run the program On-Line the files are generated on the location I already captured, but when I execute it in a background process the files are not generated but there is no error in the log and it says that the termination of the program was correct. I'm using CALL FUNCTION "WS_DOWNLOAD" to do this.

Thanks in advance.
Angelica
Hi,
This module function doesn't work in background process...

Tanguy

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 24, 2002 3:12 am

hi,
try using FM 'DOWNLOAD'.