Question to moderators

Development (ABAP Development WorkBench, ABAP/4 programming)

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish, YuriT, Gothmog

se

Question to moderators

Post by se » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:25 am

I see many times

Topic Title entirely in capitals.
Topic Locked.

What do you mean ?

problem in tcode... or PROBLEM IN TCODE ...
Why is it problematic ? I can agree to ban "very argent".
but this one ?

I guess this is an any hidden meaning much more that "Caps Lock"
switched on. Or my english is too low?

I have no idea to discuss about desicion but just explain . I quite got
lost.

thanks in advance.
programming is not only coding

abap_doctor

Post by abap_doctor » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:32 am

Oh dear...

Before Rosie or snowy jump...

Read basic rules 2005 thread just at the top...

CAPS MEANS SHOUTING! Nobody likes to be shouted at...

(BTW: I think it was a bit harsh locking the specific thread I think we're talking about...)
The Doc
Tuly Idiot Magna Grand Docot Image

RosieBrent

Post by RosieBrent » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:45 am

The basic rules are the basic rules and they can either be applied or not, whether or not someone is new to the forum or whether English is their first or second language is irrelevant. The rules will be applied consistently otherwise there is little point in having them at all.

The rules were agreed by the users of the forum at the time they were posted and were created for the benefit of all.

Any moderator action can be queried, and if appropriate they may be changed. This is done via PM to the moderators of the forum concerned, not in the forum. If the issue is not resolved to your satisfaction by communication to the forum moderators you may choose to PM the site Administrator / Owner (RTella).

Feel free to use this thread to discuss possible improvements/updates to the Rules of the forum, but if it becomes a moan about actions it will be locked / deleted without further notice.
Kind Regards

Rosie Brent

Please remember to search the forum and check the FAQ before posting questions, thank you.

Tuly Idiot most of the time, part-time Guru Image

m@t

Post by m@t » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:56 am

It would be nice if a warning could be given before the thread is locked, to give the offender the opportunity to edit their post - registered users only of course.

I appreciate that this could increase the modatorial workload.

( Personally, I'd like to see all spelling not on the UK British standard to be banned as well - but I suspect I may be slightly biased on this subject ).

cheers

m@t
TULY Image The quality of answers is roughly proportional to the quality of the question.

The downside of being better than everyone else is that people tend to assume you're pretentious.

abap_doctor

Post by abap_doctor » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:05 pm

m@t wrote:I appreciate that this could increase the modatorial workload.

( Personally, I'd like to see all spelling not on the UK British standard to be banned as well - but I suspect I may be slightly biased on this subject ).

cheers

m@t
That would be moderatorial then...?

:wink:
The Doc
Tuly Idiot Magna Grand Docot Image

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:10 pm

Oh doc,
Many thanks , I so felt stupid,

however capitals means main city of the country or asset acording to my dictionary or punishable,
How does SHOUTING deals to it and caps means hat , cover acording to
the same dictonary. And how could know that caps = capitals.
It sounds like local slang, Doesn't it?
I see it is not language school but don't drive me to "hard attack" :roll:
just explain it more simple.
Thanks in advance

m@t
What do you mean saying this.

Sorry but
Canadian or Maltese standard is different or Japaness or whatever ?

Roise,
Basic rules is basic roles but keep them understandable for non-english
speakers. My be I am under impession you said the same thing on
basic rules.

btw
thanks to forum I learnt ABAP, thank you are doing it and sorry
for broken english.

abap_doctor wrote:Oh dear...

Before Rosie or snowy jump...

Read basic rules 2005 thread just at the top...

CAPS MEANS SHOUTING! Nobody likes to be shouted at...

(BTW: I think it was a bit harsh locking the specific thread I think we're talking about...)

m@t

Post by m@t » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:39 am

Anonymous wrote:
m@t
What do you mean saying this.

Sorry but
Canadian or Maltese standard is different or Japaness or whatever ?
Different English speaking countries have variant spellings and syntaxes. E.g. US English "Favor", UK English "Favour".

The comment was not meant to be taken seriously.

Regards

m@t
TULY Image The quality of answers is roughly proportional to the quality of the question.

The downside of being better than everyone else is that people tend to assume you're pretentious.

VLozano

Post by VLozano » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:19 am

I'm amazed and happy seeing this post doesn't contains any flaming (yet)...

To the OP: no one attacked you, just were pointing you to the Basic Rules.
To Rosie: I said it in the past (I think I PM'ed you or Snowy - I suppose I PM'ed the canadian sleeper), the rules put the CAPS LOCK under suggestions, not under "not allowed" paragraph... some lawyers would sue the moderator team in the US about some locks :twisted:

To everybody:

CAPS MEANS SHOUT! AND WE WANT NOBODY SHOUTING AT OUR EARS!! IF YOU ARE WRITING THE SUBJECT (AND SOMETIMES THE ENTIRE POST) IN CAPS, WOULD BE BECAUSE:
A) YOU DID NOT READ THE BASIC RULES (YOU AGREED TO FOLLOW WHEN YOU POSTED HERE)
B) YOU DID IT BUT YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT THEM

I DON'T KNOW WHY SOME PEOPLE THINKS THAT A FULL SENTENCE WRITTEN IN CAPS IS harder to read than the same sentence written without them.

Got the point? Time to go out to take a beer (or a lemonade, in my case)
Tuly Idiots
Because we know we are part of the problem

ilya

Post by ilya » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:56 am

Anonymous wrote: How does SHOUTING deals to it and caps means hat , cover acording to
the same dictonary. And how could know that caps = capitals.
It sounds like local slang, Doesn't it?
People type in 'caps' by switching to 'caps lock'. Hense 'caps'. Just look at most QWERTY keyboards (national versions have it different, of course). Caps = shouting historically. If you don't know that then you haven't been in IT long enough. In this case, the best for you is simply to accept the rules of the game.
Anonymous wrote: Basic rules is basic roles but keep them understandable for non-english
speakers. My be I am under impession you said the same thing on
basic rules.
I am non-english speaker and I never ever had a problem to understand the basic rules. If I ever be in such situation, I will be ready to fully accept any flames and shut up. The rules are the rules.
ilya

More input data: http://abaplog.wordpress.com
Sapfans ABAP FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=94198
Rich's ABAP Knowledge Corner: http://www.richard-harper.me.uk/Kb/default.html
Function modules documentation: http://www.se37.com

wizbongre

Post by wizbongre » Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:11 am

Thing is, caps lock or all upper case writing is considered shouting across about 99% of the internet, not just here on this forum. I wouldn't even say you needed to be in IT, just have to have used the internet for a few weeks!

And Rosie sums up the most crucial point - this forum has rules and they will be applied. Whether people like them or understand them is to an extent irrelevant!

As an aside (and I'm asking this with no knowledge of how bulletin board software works) could the subject and possibly even the message body input fields not have some javascript added to force them to lower case. Hang a routine off the onSubmit method of the form that checks for all uppercase and either stops the submission or just translates it all to lower case. I'm sure we'd all prefer to see all lower case and cope with the potential strange formatting. The logic would have to be clever enough to make sure it only runs if everything is in upper case.

I've just had a quick look at the code of this page (as I'm entering the message) and can see that there is a JavaScript routine called checkForm() which is assigned to the submit of this form. At the moment all it does is check the message is greater than 2 characters. As I said, I don't know how easy it is to add extra stuff to validate as I've always assumed the HTML source for these pages is generated based on the bulletin board congfig.

Just my thoughts...

ilya

Post by ilya » Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:27 am

wizbongre wrote: As an aside (and I'm asking this with no knowledge of how bulletin board software works) could the subject and possibly even the message body input fields not have some javascript added to force them to lower case.
I think that doing that from moderation is much more effective. This way people learn how to play nicely.
ilya

More input data: http://abaplog.wordpress.com
Sapfans ABAP FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=94198
Rich's ABAP Knowledge Corner: http://www.richard-harper.me.uk/Kb/default.html
Function modules documentation: http://www.se37.com

Snowy

Post by Snowy » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:51 am

the no-CAPS LOCK script might look nice, nut in some cases, CAPS LOCK is needed such as ABAP code or maybe 1 sentence when you really need to shout!

wizbongre

Post by wizbongre » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:25 am

I agree - I was thinking about the times when the entire post is in caps...

Or maybe just a pop-up to query whether the text should all be in caps.

At the end of the day, this is no substitute for people making the effort to read the rules/faq/etc. and abiding by them!