Too many calls to RFC destination?

Development (ABAP Development WorkBench, ABAP/4 programming)

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish, YuriT, Gothmog

dylanhack

Too many calls to RFC destination?

Post by dylanhack » Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:15 pm

Hello,

I have a custom program that calls a function module with an RFC destination. The FM works perfectly until dozens of calls are being made almost simultaneously. What happens next is that the RFC destination fails for some requests, while is successful for others...

Has anyone ever seen this? Is there a volume restraint on calls to RFC destinations?

Regards, Dylan

Satyen

Post by Satyen » Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:40 pm

Dear Dylan,

Yes i have witnessed such an issue especially when i have been debugging an RFC call and when i see the parameters which have been passed due to a call by another user. Well my surmise is that though there is no limit on the RFC calls but there are some performance glitches when calling multiple RFCs.
In my case i used an option "Start with delay" as compared to "Start Immediately" in the attributes option of the RFC module which did help.
Of course this depends on your business process and possible if you have made a customized FM.

Hope this helps!
Wishes,
Satyen

BOBA

Post by BOBA » Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:03 pm

Try looking into Registering the RFC. Your Unix people should know how to set this up. If I remember correctly, they need to set up a Daemon on the unix side that would constantly check to make sure the RFC connection is active and if not, it would restart it. Getting this set up helped us with a Taxware RFC problem we were having. But unfortunately, I do not have any more details on how to do this.

hsenden

Post by hsenden » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:46 am

HI,

we have the same problem. Because of calling too many RFC processes the system has a memory problem.

Is there a possibility to check the maximum number of RFC processes, the current 'in use' RFC processes by using a function module ? or maybe reading some tables ?

regards,
Hans

m@t

Post by m@t » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:55 am

Could you not use tRFC - this guarantees that the call will work, even if the remote system is temporarily unavailable.

( Not useful if you need a response though... )

m@t
TULY Image The quality of answers is roughly proportional to the quality of the question.

The downside of being better than everyone else is that people tend to assume you're pretentious.

hsenden

Post by hsenden » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:09 am

m@t wrote:Could you not use tRFC - this guarantees that the call will work, even if the remote system is temporarily unavailable.
m@t
From our own SAP system, per PDF file we start a RFC process to an external system that will add text to a the PDF file. But this will take some processing time. In the meantime a lot of new RFC processes for the same destination are started, and will slow down the system because of the use of too many RFC processes.
A possible solution should be : check the number of of current in use RFC processes. If the number is below a minimum wait for some seconds, and try again.
With this solution the load on the RFC processor (?) is constant and under control.
But therefore i need a way to determine the number of currenty in use RFC processes.

regards,
Hans