File based Vs Idoc based Interfaces-Which one to use?

Development (ABAP Development WorkBench, ABAP/4 programming)

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish, YuriT, Gothmog

cruiser

File based Vs Idoc based Interfaces-Which one to use?

Post by cruiser » Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:14 pm

Hi Friends,

I have been getting into a discussion with my colleagues that we need to take an Idoc based approach to interfaces but they are very strongly in favour of file based interfaces.

Can any of you please outlay the advantages/disadvantages of file based versus Idoc based interfaces?

Thanks,
Cruiser

Post by Guest » Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:55 pm

Personally, I prefer a file based interface, IDoc based interfaces are clumsy and difficult to manage.

Note IDoc was historical SAP today is moving forward with BAPIs as the standard interface mechanism which is really the correct way forward. Feeding to or from BAPIs - files are the best bet.

I can get an XML input and generate a file and send it to SAP and similarly I can take SAP output in file format and generate a XML output and send it out to whatever system.

I have used SAP Business Connector it is another ugly product difficult to manage , very unreliable unless you want to feed Basis contractors with all these wrong technologies.

I believe in KISS - Keep it simple Stupid the traditional file based interfaces are the best for KISS. IDoc is legacy SAP are no more enhancing them their new direction is BAPIs - end of story.

Just my views.

SAP Guru

syd

Post by syd » Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:01 am

true but sometime one has to take the IDOC path because data is received or required to be sent in standard IDOC format (ANSI).
Cheers,
syd :)

Post by Guest » Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:07 am

Yes, IDoc is perhaps preferred if your interfaces are to talk to another SAP system. Note , IDoc is a SAP proprietary standard.

So if your interface is a to communicate with a non-SAP system I guess the file based interface with BAPIs to process the inbound file data is your best course.

SAP Guru

RosieBrent

Post by RosieBrent » Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:53 am

Anonymous wrote:Yes, IDoc is perhaps preferred if your interfaces are to talk to another SAP system. Note , IDoc is a SAP proprietary standard.

So if your interface is a to communicate with a non-SAP system I guess the file based interface with BAPIs to process the inbound file data is your best course.

SAP Guru
Not forgetting that some industries still communicate heavily via EDI which tends to require the use of IDocs.....
Kind Regards

Rosie Brent

Please remember to search the forum and check the FAQ before posting questions, thank you.

Tuly Idiot most of the time, part-time Guru Image

cruiser

XI

Post by cruiser » Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:51 pm

Interesting replies. Thanks all..this then brings me to the good discussion of using XI for Interfaces. If file based approach is good, which makes sense provide we use BAPIs to post the data then its a good option.

In terms of XI, what advantage would an Idoc offer? To me it seems like XI can take in XML and put a file to SAP. Then our program kicks in, picks up this file and posts using a BAPI (definitely NOT a BDC)

Does this make sense or is XI an Idoc-only thing? I also agree that some vendors/banks use EDI so we have to continue with the Idoc option for those scenarios

Thanks,
Cruiser

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:18 am

Cruiser

Gartner a reputed IT consulting company in one of the research papers as advised customers to stay clear of SAP XI until 2007. They think XI is too immature and not complete. I would suggest you can get a eval version of Microsoft BizTalk from your local Microsoft Account executive.

I will bet BizTalk is the best tool if you are evaluating a good SAP integration tool. Read the following URL BizTalk won the Reader's Choice awards for Integration in the intelligent enterprise readers choice. I would suggest look no further than BizTalk.

http://www.intelligententerprise.com/sh ... D=30000377

SAP Guru

RosieBrent

Re: XI

Post by RosieBrent » Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:24 am

cruiser wrote:Interesting replies. Thanks all..this then brings me to the good discussion of using XI for Interfaces. If file based approach is good, which makes sense provide we use BAPIs to post the data then its a good option.
You have further options, remembering that BAPIs themselves can interface with the outside world via VB/Java etc. And you're right that they are the absolute best way to post external data!
Kind Regards

Rosie Brent

Please remember to search the forum and check the FAQ before posting questions, thank you.

Tuly Idiot most of the time, part-time Guru Image

Post by Guest » Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:18 pm

Thanks! To sum the discussion up, it seems like we need to have file based interfaces with custom programs using BAPIs instead of writing clumsy custom Idocs (which the functional people have to learn to re-process using BD87 etc..which they wont be very happy about)..

Thats interesting. Also, we have no choice since XI has been taken. I think XI is good personally but have still to learn what all it can do.

Thanks,
Cruiser