SAP MMC Console Disappears after SAPGui Installation

Basis (Basis Technology Modules: Basis Component/System Administration, GUIs)

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish

oldsapguru

SAP MMC Console Disappears after SAPGui Installation

Post by oldsapguru » Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:35 am

After I got 3 e-mails about this problem this morning, I thought it might be a good thing to look up. Apparently, when installing SAPGui on a server where MMC has been installed, the sapsweep program removes a few things that it shouldn't.

OSS Note 370872 explains it all. Since I never install a SAPGui on the server, I never ran into this one but apparently it is about to become popular.

So, basic rule: if you must install SAPGui, install it on a workstation and not on the DB server running your SAP instance.

bubu

Post by bubu » Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:54 pm

So, basic rule: if you must install SAPGui, install it on a workstation and not on the DB server running your SAP instance.
On my previous employer, we have to install SAPGui on our application instance running on NT to have it as a backup in-case we can't use the SAPGui in our workstation due to viruses/worm and other interruption (e.g. network problems). What I suggest is that you can install it but don't use the sapsweep program (as explain on the problems described on SAP Note 370872). For one thing, when we do upgrades of our SAPGui we uses the old method of removing the files/directories & entries in the registry (just like the days when SAP hasn't relased yet the sapsweep program & we have to do things manually).

Note that when you do install a SAPGui on an application instance, you have to keep in mind that it's only a backup presentation server and not to be used often (as this can become a security issue & also a performance issue).

Regards,

P.S.

We also did the same thing on one of the application servers running under UNIX ...

bubu

Post by bubu » Thu Aug 28, 2003 9:11 pm

But yes, I have to agree that someday (specially for GUI version 6.30+) we have to use a better method than manually delete those files as it's becoming more difficult to keep track of the new things that being brought by the setup program ... Hopefully by then the sapsweep program has stabilized ...

Regards,

oldsapguru

Post by oldsapguru » Thu Aug 28, 2003 9:14 pm

By the time you add in the mobile components, and SAP console, etc. it is hard to tell what got put where by whom.

bubu

Post by bubu » Thu Aug 28, 2003 9:20 pm

Yeah, SAPGui is becoming more complicated than ever ...

Regards,

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:05 pm

no matter GUI is running fine in our server in 46c.

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:05 pm

no matter GUI is running fine in our server in 46c.

bubu

Post by bubu » Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:24 am

no matter GUI is running fine in our server in 46c
Yes, but take note of what's being said here since when you do your SAPGui upgrade you might encounter this problem.

Regards,

oldsapguru

Post by oldsapguru » Fri Aug 29, 2003 11:40 am

Too true Bubu.

If you think about it, adding a SAPGui to a DB server is like installing screen saver software. You spend all that time adding application servers and moving all the update and background work processes to them so the DB server can be a true DB server, and then you install a SAPGui on the same box?

If you have lost all connectivity via network to the DB server and a SAPGui on the server itself is the only way you can get into SAP, you indeed have some major-league serious problems!

bubu

Post by bubu » Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:34 pm

If you think about it, adding a SAPGui to a DB server is like installing screen saver software. You spend all that time adding application servers and moving all the update and background work processes to them so the DB server can be a true DB server, and then you install a SAPGui on the same box?
That's why the presentation server should only be used during emergencies else it can become a security & performance problem ...
If you have lost all connectivity via network to the DB server and a SAPGui on the server itself is the only way you can get into SAP, you indeed have some major-league serious problems!
Well you know the way the logistics for a multi-national or a national company works (e.g. hardware is located on one place, basis team is located on another place, users are located on another place). The Basis team in my previous company then planned for every contingencies for any major problem that might happen that can interrupt work (part of Disaster Recovery Program). One of them is regarding the prevalent virus/worm issues on the network/internet. Normally, only one department gets affected (assuming that you've got different network sub-classes & firewalls installed). The problem is that when the Basis department is the one who got infected, the solution is to move out and get connected to another router (protected by the firewall). But since the PC's are infected, what you can do do is use the available hardware on the datacenter itself to be able to continue the monitoring.

Well, that just one of the examples they thought about ... others include the whole building having an electrical surge causing desktop problems & also vendor problems like the network line on the building getting cut accidentally by them ...

Regards,