Extracing data of our Production system

Basis (Basis Technology Modules: Basis Component/System Administration, GUIs)

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish

Dman

Extracing data of our Production system

Post by Dman » Tue May 13, 2003 5:16 am

W are currently running SAP 31i, Oracle 8.1.7.4 and AIX 4.3.3

I have been asked to look at ways of extracing data of our PRD system.

The reason for this is that one of our over sea's companies wants to be able query the extracted data, then extract it into Excel for example where they can then manipulate the data themselves rather than having to keep on putting programming requests in, which at the moment we cant handle.

Can you give me any ideas or suggest any software solutions that you recommend i should look at.

Thanks,
Darren.

aaristondo

Post by aaristondo » Tue May 13, 2003 5:26 am

Hi,
You can export any table you want from Database tools. Otherwise you can esport any data from your own developed ABAP programs into OS plan files.
regards

Dman

Post by Dman » Tue May 13, 2003 6:13 am

Do you mean the export/import option in sapdba.
So if i go into the export/import option and choose option a- export table and indexes incl data, will this take a copy of the table or tablespace i have specified.
If so can it be done while the system is running ???

Thanks,
Darren.

bubu

Post by bubu » Tue May 13, 2003 7:17 am

Pls. take note that while you can do export in sapdba, you have to decide which tables are relevant to do the extract to a regular basis. The first option is always the main transaction tables but this normally holds too many records. You might try looking at the LIS tables (the S* tables) which contains relevant informations normally used for management reports.

Regards,

aaristondo

Post by aaristondo » Tue May 13, 2003 8:14 am

Hi,
In Oracle you can export directly a table from OS with the user ora<sid> with command:
exp sapr3/pass rows=y tables=name_of_table file=complete_path.dmp
But it is true that it would export the whole table (maybe too many record).
I should try with the other option, looking for a report that list the information you want and export it to plan files, that's what we do dayly to make info available in another non-SAP system.
regards

Dman

Post by Dman » Tue May 13, 2003 9:16 am

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Just to get me started in sapdba i exported a small table 'likp' in our QAS system which was 80Mg in size, this then created a 80Mg .dmp file in the reorg dir.

I ftp this file onto my pc, but i cant open it in a readable format.
Is there anything i have to do to this file before i can open it up in Excel, or is it not as simple as that?

Thanks again,
Darren.

thx4allthefish

Post by thx4allthefish » Tue May 13, 2003 9:25 am

use LSMW.

aaristondo

Post by aaristondo » Tue May 13, 2003 10:11 am

To see a dmp exported file you need to import it in another database.
I see you are not an DB expert, don't worry. I strongly suggest you trying to develop your own ABAP programs to export data into plan text files that you can FTP to any server and import then with the program you want.
regards.

Dman

Post by Dman » Wed May 14, 2003 3:11 am

Thanks aaristondo for your help, will definatley look at developing our own ABAP's as you suggested.

One last query though, is it possible to import these *.dmp files into an access db?

Thanks again,
Darren.

aaristondo

Post by aaristondo » Wed May 14, 2003 8:29 am

Hi again,
A DMP file generated by Oracle is for import in another (or the same) Oracle Database as standard.
Maybe there is any special software for exchanging data between Oracle and Access, but i don't know it.
regards

Snowy

Post by Snowy » Wed May 14, 2003 8:47 am

Dman wrote:One last query though, is it possible to import these *.dmp files into an access db?
I don't see how with DMP files...

Perhaps creating an ODBC link to your Oracle DB.. and then use this link in Access?

Snowy