This website is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or approved by SAP AG.

SAP system landscape directory (sld)

Basis (Basis Technology Modules: Basis Component/System Administration, GUIs)

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish

SAP system landscape directory (sld)

Postby noushasap1 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:37 pm

Can somebody answer me the following questions, please?I have been reading many things on the internet. But unfortunately, these questions were not being answered by my reading.

1.why do we need a sld in sap?
2. How is it used by other products such as pi,solman?what kind of information does pi need so that it is useful to pi etc. please give me an example so that i can understand because everywhere it is written, it sends "information" to pi.but i would like to get an idea what kind of information to understand better.

3. is technical system = products or is technical system = products + software components

4. how is software units important in the sld architecture?is it related to technical system and software components?

I am quite confuse. It will be grateful if real life example can be given like product = ecc etc when explaining.

Thanking you very much beforehand.
noushasap1

Re: SAP system landscape directory (sld)

Postby Zavaros » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:17 am

Hello,

SLD is an LDAP (wow). It is a central asset inventory. Nothing else.

Each system creates a nice xml file that is sent to SLD during registration. It contains all the necessary information (clients, components, versions, IP addresses, host names). The information is updated every 72 hours. So you do not need to update the central asset manually after each system patch.

The Java JCo-s get data directly from SLD. If the SLD is down then the java part of your PI system is dead.
If you switch your Java system to another SLD then the JCo-s are dropped. You have to create them from scratch.

Technical systems are manually created systems. Generally they are external systems that registrate to other SLD.

Regards,

Zav
Zavaros

Re: SAP system landscape directory (sld)

Postby noushasap1 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:36 pm

Hello zavaros,

Thank you so much for a brighter view of the sld.

hahaha....if only i have read your post a bit earlier than today.

"If the SLD is down then the java part of your PI system is dead."

actually, yesterday we got this problem at work where the link to sxmb_ifr was not available. The probability was that the sld was down.
actually we restarted the pi db server and its application servers and the link was woking perfectly. However, i do not know if the problem still was with the sld or not because i think the sld and the db and app servers are not related i guess, am i right or wrong?

thank you once again...
noushasap1

Return to Basis