This website is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or approved by SAP AG.

Maximum connections that can be opened simultaneously in SAP

Basis (Basis Technology Modules: Basis Component/System Administration, GUIs)

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish

Maximum connections that can be opened simultaneously in SAP

Postby FloppyDisc » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:03 pm

Hi,

I am not an SAP expert but I am a reasonably good user (I think, but I am not sure). I look after a middleware application called webMethods. And part of the application we have an SAP Adapter that enables the application to communicate with SAP and exchange flows of information (BAPI calls, iDocs, etc.). This SAP adapter holds a number of connections to SAP with two particular values: A- Minimum connections open with SAP at all time. B- Maximum connections that can be simultaneously opened with SAP. Just to be clear, this is a configuration in webMethods, not SAP.

Recently, and as part of fixing a problem in our webMethods, we have been requested by the vendor to increase the Maximum value mentioned above from its default value of 10 to something bigger in order to accommodate for the busy traffic between the 2 systems. However, the one warning that came with such request is that we need to make sure that we (I quote the formal documentation) “do not exceed the total number of connections that can be opened simultaneously for that SAP system”. The documentation then gives an example of (again, I quote) “For example, if you have an SAP system that supports a maximum of 100 connections opened simultaneously, […] the number of connections possible at one time must not exceed 100”. To cut short to the question, does anyone know where we can find this value that the example referred to as 100? Our SAP system is ECC 6.0, running on Windows 2008 R2 and using SQL Server 2008 R2.

Thanks for the assistance,

Cheers.
FloppyDisc

Re: Maximum connections that can be opened simultaneously in SAP

Postby hoinz » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:20 am

I suppose they are talking about the SAP instance parameter gw/max_conn.
For having it changed, please contact your SAP basis admin.

Or in case you are your SAP basis admin:
You may change profile parameters in transaction RZ10.
For a quick check of the current setting, you may have a look at transaction RZ11, or at the files in <drive>:\usr\sap\SID\SYS\profile

hope this helps
hoinz

Return to Basis