This website is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or approved by SAP AG.

Declining performance remote - why?

Basis (Basis Technology Modules: Basis Component/System Administration, GUIs)

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish

Declining performance remote - why?

Postby ese_pinche_ABAP » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:07 am

In pulling the same data, the same columns weekly from the CATSDB using se16, over time the number of records has roughly doubled but the number of records I can pull before the 20-minute timeout kicks in has been cut almost fourfold.

The CATSDB had about 2M records give or take at the start and I could pull 650K+ records specifying a date range in less than the 20 minute time out.
But now with 4M+ records I have to pull fewer than 200K records to avoid hitting the 20 minute timeout.

The number of records has increased weekly by about 125,000 at a time. Now with 4M+ records I can pull only less than 200K records before reaching the 20 minute time out. From 2M records pulling 650K at a time, it went down gradually over time as the total number of records in the CATSDB increased to being able to pull only 450K, then 400k, then 275K, then 225K and now with 4M+ records it's down to about 200K records that can be pulled remotely without hitting the 20 minute timeout limit.

Running on-site I do not have this problem - only remote. As an ABAPer I do not have any Basis knowledge - is this something that sounds like a Basis problem? Any ideas on how to fix it? Just doubling the amount of records in a DB should not result in almost quadrupling the time required to pull the same number of records, or in almost quartering the number of records that can be pulled in a given time. Connection speed while remote has also remained the same the whole time.
ese_pinche_ABAP

Re: Declining performance remote - why?

Postby blueteeth » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:13 am

You have not given your RDBMS. Ask your Basis to compute / update statistics for the table and the indexes.

While I do not recommend creating a new index to suit your query, you can discuss with Basis and identify suitable existing index which will help get your data quickly and then tailor your query to use that index.

BT
blueteeth

Postby ese_pinche_ABAP » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:02 am

Thanks for your reply. It's running Oracle 11.2.0.1.0 on a Linux system. How do I specify an index when using se16? I don't understand how to tailor my query to use an index using se16. This problem happens only when remote - would an index be used only on-site but not when remote, or would a different index be used remote vs. on-site?
ese_pinche_ABAP

Postby zedthesecond » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:14 am

How do you pull the data? SE16 and then? Do you save it as a local file? Have you tried to pull data from some other table with same size.
Do they behave in the same way?
zedthesecond

Return to Basis