This website is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or approved by SAP AG.

brarchive - disk archive issue

Basis (Basis Technology Modules: Basis Component/System Administration, GUIs)

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish

brarchive - disk archive issue

Postby Zavaros » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:28 am

Hello,

one of our customers generates unbelievable 4-5 TB redologs a month (compressed size). This amount of redologs causes us lot of problems because the storage team can not give us such big file system. So we have to move the zip files manually to other filesystems to keep the SAP system alive.
... we tried to persuade Customer to do not rebuild the infocubes periodically... without any success.

My question is: do you know about a solution, how to split/stripe the off-line redologs between file systems? (tape backup is not solution :( )

Regards,

Zav
Zavaros

Re: brarchive - disk archive issue

Postby blueteeth » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:06 am

How about shell script that moves/ftp's archived redolog files to a different location?

Run it as cron job every hour.

Oracle Tablespaces have NOLOGGING option. Any segment in that tablespace will not generate redologs. SAP may not support it.

Regards,
BT
blueteeth

Postby hoinz » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:31 am

Not sure if I completely understood your problem, but let me try.

What I did understand is this:
Your oraarch directory in in a filesystem, let's call it filesystem0, that has sufficient space for the log files created between two runs of brarchive.
By brarchive the log files are copied to let's say filesystem1. This also has sufficient space for a few runs of brarchive. But not sufficient space for the time you have to keep the log files.
So you manually move files from filesystem1 to filesystem2, in order to get free space in filesystem1.
Now you would like to persuade brarchive to distribute files among filesystem1 and filesystem2 and perhaps filesystem3 by itself.
Correct so far?

What i would do here:
Change parameter archive_copy_dir in your initSID.sap file on a regular basis, either by overwriting it by some operating system periodic job, or by starting brarchive with various options for -p initSID.sap.

regards
hoinz

Postby Zavaros » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:15 am

hoinz wrote:What i would do here:
Change parameter archive_copy_dir in your initSID.sap file on a regular basis, either by overwriting it by some operating system periodic job, or by starting brarchive with various options for -p initSID.sap.

:oops: it is brilliant! And it is simple because we already have a frame script that triggers the brarchive with own initSID.sap.
the only problem to solve is housekeeping: how to delete the old redolog files.

Btw: SAP supports nologging. BW systems use it during index rebuilds. We do not like it because it makes the system restore a bit complicated with lot of corrupt database messages.

Regards,
Zav
Zavaros

Postby hoinz » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:57 am

Glad it helped.
:)

And housekeeping shouldn't be a problem either.
We do things like that in Unix with find command, using options -mtime and -exec rm.

regards
hoinz

Postby blueteeth » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:52 pm

hoinz wrote:Not sure if I completely understood your problem, but let me try.

What I did understand is this:
Your oraarch directory in in a filesystem, let's call it filesystem0, that has sufficient space for the log files created between two runs of brarchive.
By brarchive the log files are copied to let's say filesystem1. This also has sufficient space for a few runs of brarchive. But not sufficient space for the time you have to keep the log files.
So you manually move files from filesystem1 to filesystem2, in order to get free space in filesystem1.
Now you would like to persuade brarchive to distribute files among filesystem1 and filesystem2 and perhaps filesystem3 by itself.
Correct so far?

What i would do here:

regards

I have a confounding suggestion to add:

Why not tell Oracle to write archive redolog files at different destination, when primary destination becomes full? Your friend - Oracle Parameter - LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_N

The tricky part here is to tell BRARCHIVE to look for multiple DESTINATION_N. For which hoinz suggestion should work.

Caution: Your DESTINATION_N filesystem should be fast IO, else log switches would create problemos with Oracle functioning.

BT
blueteeth

Return to Basis