This website is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or approved by SAP AG.

SAP Basis Questions

Basis (Basis Technology Modules: Basis Component/System Administration, GUIs)

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish

SAP Basis Questions

Postby sapbasisnewbie » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:51 am

Dear SAP Gurus,
I’m working as a SAP Basis and Systems Administrator in my company for 1 year. Since I don’t have a vast experience in SAP, I come across various issues on which I require some practical guidance instead of just googling. The issues on which I require guidance from you guys are:
• How to use SAP Quick Sizer for acquiring new server machine and for evaluating existing server machine whether it can hold more modules.
• Can database archiving be module wise? I know that database generate archives irrespective of the data, but if I add more modules and if I want the data (archives) of those newly added modules to be placed on different machine, can I do that?
• Can system copy be done without shutting down SAP or effecting users?
• How do u implement document management service into SAP? E.g. to access scanned copies of material through material creation screen from a stored space?
Waiting for the suggestions and kindly share your experience…
Regards
Zeeshan
sapbasisnewbie

Re: SAP Basis Questions

Postby blueteeth » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:26 pm

Many questions.

• How to use SAP Quick Sizer for acquiring new server machine and for evaluating existing server machine whether it can hold more modules.

service.sap.com/quicksizer

Hardware Sizing is tricky business. Evaluating vendor hardware and their songs. I'd strongly advise you not to do hardware sizing at your current situation and perhaps involve a seasoned consultant.

• Can database archiving be module wise? I know that database generate archives irrespective of the data, but if I add more modules and if I want the data (archives) of those newly added modules to be placed on different machine, can I do that?

Any true BASIS Administrator lives by OS/DB combination for SAP System he/she is administering. You have not given both. For SAP systems running on any RDBMS, it is not possible to disable recording of change vectors for a particular portion of database. Either you run on entire database on or off.

• Can system copy be done without shutting down SAP or effecting users?

I've done many times on Oracle/Unix combination. So, yes. I have poor understanding of other OS/DB combinations. Perhaps others may chip in.

• How do u implement document management service into SAP? E.g. to access scanned copies of material through material creation screen from a stored space?

It is too generic question. I'd advise you to read SAP documentation.

service.sap.com/instguides

Cheers
BT
blueteeth

Postby Zavaros » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:04 pm

well ...

the quicksizer does not choose hardware for you.
you fill the data into the questionnaire and get the output that you need a machine with X SAPS, Y category CPUs and a lotofdisks.

if your current hardware is above this requirement then you are ok. If not then you bring the info to your hardware vendor and he'll give you an offer on new hardware.

2. data archiving and document archiving can not be learned in 5 minutes. I suggest taking some lessons and/or hire an expert to configure it.
different archive objects can be archived in different content servers ... but different modules could work with same data (archive objects)

3. System copy is an important part of the lifecycle management. You can find a lot of info about it on SAPnet (service.sap.com) and in google.
syscopy is done from a backup. Therefore it has no (direct!) effect on original system.
but there are some side effects:
- manual says that for consistency reasons you can build JAVA system only from offline backup (never did this way)
- if you do not cut the interfaces in time then the the new system could send old data to other prod systems through interfaces and do interesting things with orders and other so. That's why it is advisable to lock users, stop interfaces before backup (also never did it this way).

Regards,
Zav

PS: BT ... you perplexed me with your anasawares.
Zavaros

Postby blueteeth » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:04 pm

Zav,

Getting perplexed is good for mental neural networks. Now, please tell me, where & how, I got you perplexed with my answers?

Cheers,
BT
blueteeth

Return to Basis