This website is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or approved by SAP AG.

heterogeneous server platform

Basis (Basis Technology Modules: Basis Component/System Administration, GUIs)

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish

heterogeneous server platform

Postby jygjyg » Mon Oct 21, 2002 10:13 pm

We are running SAP R/3 on AIX 4.3.3. Due to the rapid user number increase, the server is not power enough to run SAP. Upgrading the server or buying new ones is the best way but we do not have enough budget in this year.

Somebody have the experience about running DB and Central Instance on Unix platform and applications on NT platform? Does it cause any headache or unpredictable problem?

Thanks,
jamesyang@163.net
jygjyg

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 21, 2002 11:13 pm

Hi James,
To my exp. the below mentioned setup will not be a headache, maybe initial phase will like config of printers..etc altogather should not have any major problem in long run.
Thanks
Aru-SGP

Postby bubu » Tue Oct 22, 2002 7:37 am

hi jygjyg,

We currently have HPUX as CI, 3 win2000 application server, and 1 HPUX application server. Filesystems where connected using samba (we tested humming bird and its great but also the price). No major problems were encountered. (Before) when we're using winNT 4.0, there were occurences of the dreaded "blue screen"... but since we have a HPUX application server, we were able to redirect the users to the HPUX (using logon balancing) ... for the win2000, we haven't experience any blue screen ... (the only problem we have before was that some drivers were not compatible and we have to wait for months for it to become compatible)

just like Aru-SGP have said, inital configuration will be a little bit confusing since you'll be dealing with two OS (with completely different concepts)

additional: we previously used hpux storage devices then we moved to EMC ... we currently uses informix as DB. However, we're using Oracle for our BW and it basically uses the same configuration as in R/3 (execept that it just uses 1 win2000 app server) ...

regards
bubu

Postby blueteeth » Tue Oct 22, 2002 9:22 am

My two dimes...

Since you have decided for a low-end 32 bit Hardware solution (such as DELL Poweredge Servers)..why not run a stable Unix variant..Linux?

I have seen large SAP sites using Linux (RHL Advanced Server) in their production environment.

Regards,
bt
blueteeth

Postby bubu » Tue Oct 22, 2002 9:40 am

though we got hpux/win2000 server platforms, i admit that we think that linux is much more okay ... we've done initial tests and it seems okay ... maybe on our next apps we'll going to use linux ...
bubu

Postby jygjyg » Tue Oct 22, 2002 10:32 pm

Thanks for your constructive advice.

Can I ask a little bit stupid question which is irrelevant to the original one. Why we use Unix instead of Intel server? Imaging SAP recommends to update the kernel every two months, I think Intel based server (w2k or linux) is strong enough to survive for more than 2 months or longer. Maybe cluster is one of the reasons to user UNIX servers but the price is...
jygjyg

Return to Basis