This website is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or approved by SAP AG.

Kernel Upgrade

Basis (Basis Technology Modules: Basis Component/System Administration, GUIs)

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish

Kernel Upgrade

Postby akapu » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:51 pm

1) I was looking at kernel upgrade sap note # 664679, where after unpacking the new kernel, it asks to run ./ <SAPSID>

However since year I have been doing kernel upgrades but never ran tht script. Can any one plz tell me what does it do as even though I never used it, every thing ran fine.

2) Also I would like to ask a basic stupid but annoying question. All the kernel files are under /usr/sap/<SAPSID>/SYS/exe/run. However each time I do a kernel upgrade I do it on /sapmnt/<SID>/exe.

This time just to experiment the thing I did it in correct path usr/sap/<SAPSID>/SYS/exe/run, however the kernel upgrade didnt took place. I mean once the SAP was up, it still shows 620 version wheras I downloaded and installed 640. When I did that again, on /sapmnt/<SID>/exe, the kernel version changed to 640.

Since I am new to Unix landscape, can any one of you please help me understand this sapmnt ?

Just to add I verified that the /sapmnt/<SID>/exe is not pointing to /usr/sap/<SAPSID>/SYS/exe/run.

AIX5.2, Oracle 9.2

Postby markdijs » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:52 am

1. changes the permissions of the br* tools

2. /sapmnt/SID/exe is a link to /usr/sap/SID/exe/run. In the installation guide of SAP on Unix, you can see an overview of the file system structure of an SAP system on Unix.

Postby jlg » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:21 am

1. ... and some other tools, have a look at the script, you can read it with vi etc.

2. Have you done an 'slibclean'? Sometimes the old executables are still in the memory ....

Postby Snowy » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:55 am

akapu, you could have viewed the contents of the script and try to understand what it does.... :roll:
SapFans Moderator

Return to Basis