Sapgui history problems

Basis (Basis Technology Modules: Basis Component/System Administration, GUIs)

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish

mrrossi

Dropdown scrollbar history lost & problems in 640 GUI

Post by mrrossi » Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:52 am

Hi

Had been through these posts and tried everything, but no luck... this is what I was about to send to SAP:

Approximately 20/30 users out of 2000, located at one site of many (but not all users at that site), are experiencing a problem since we upgraded from SAP GUI 620 to GUI 640 (patch 19).

The problem(s) are that after a short period, the history in the dropdown boxes (on any screen) disappears and only a white, empty box appears, which you cannot edit. No new history is added. Occasionally, a slightly different problem occurs with the dropdown box whereby the mouse pointer 'jumps' and scrolls to the bottom of the scrollbar/list, so that
you can't access other items (unless you use the keyboard cursor keys).

Initially this was thought to be a 640 GUI problem or Windows permissions problem writing to the history file. However, we have given users elevated rights, removed the history file etc as per various notes and this doesn't resolve the problem.

However; a SAP team member then logged on to the same PC as the user experiencing difficulties and they did NOT experience the problem in SAP. This is true whether they logged into the PC as themselves or as the user; when they logged into SAP they didn't have the problem.

We tried copying the user who had the problem to a new user. Problem still persisted. We deleted the user from SU01 and then recreated with the same user ID and assigned the same authorisation roles. User still had the problem.

We then created a brand new user, with an ID that had never been used in the system before - and the problem had gone away!

We noticed that when we deleted the original troublesome user, and recreated them, we had the message 'address data copied from SAP office' and the users first and last name were filled in. Could it be that there is some corrput data or parameters within this SAP office data that was causing the problem? We have seen note 36757 and ran report RSSOUSCO (SO55) but this did not help. Checked entries in ADR6, ADR7 and ADRP/ADCP but this all looked okay...

--- before I could send this:

I found it has been FIXED!! By simply resetting the users password.

HUH??!!? Must clear some buffer or record somewhere... bizarre!

Anyone any ideas / experience of this??

A baffled Mr Rossi; thank god it's Friday :roll:

mrrossi

D'oh!

Post by mrrossi » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:45 am

Noooooo!! The password reset 'solution' - even the creating the user from scratch again 'solution' - have not worked! The problem has returned...

Funny thing is it's still only affecting this handful of users??

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers
Mr Rossi

Snowy

Post by Snowy » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:53 am

I was surprised that resetting the user would have fixed the problem.

Can you try to login into Windows using another userID.
Does it works for this new user?

Try changing the default directory to C:\ and try again with the original user.

Note that if this PC is unstable and reboot with blue screens, this can create corruption in the Ms Jet database.

1 more thing, if the network is slow, you may experience similar problems, that's why SAP has created the <low-speed connection> option that disables history.

mrrossi

Fixed it!

Post by mrrossi » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:54 am

It did look like logging in as a different Windows user didn't make a difference, but logging in as a different SAP user did...

But I think as it was an intermittent problem it was not tested long enough this way. The problem simply came back no matter what user was used.

The fix: and pretty sure this time (has been working consistently for a group of users for over a week) - was to apply SAP GUI 640 patch 21. Think it's actually fixed in patch 20....

As simple as that... had suggested desktop support do that in the first place anyway but nooooo, we had to explore all the other (harder & longer & dafter) options first....!! :roll:

Oh well... thanks for everyone's help

Mr Rossi

ChristianM2000

I've got it

Post by ChristianM2000 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:30 am

Hello everybody :-)
I had the same problems like you! We installed Microsoft Windows XP and realized that some of the Gui Functions won't work any more. So we installed instead of Gui 640 the Gui 710.
But the problem with the history wasn't solved. After a long google search we tried to reinstall mdac components.
It was not very easy because of every installation we started we got message, that it is already the newest version and setup will terminate.
But it is possible!!!
Go to the windows\inf folder
there it is an file like mdac.inf
right click on it and select install
then you have to insert microsoft windows xp cd and select folder i386 where the file is.

let system install it and if erverything is okay, the sap history will work after the next sap login.

thx4allthefish

Post by thx4allthefish » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:04 am

after 5 years we now have the solutions from 4.6 to 7.10 :)
curiousorange wrote: I give up. Humanity isn't worth saving. Why is there never a Vogon Constructor Fleet around when you really need one?

danielo_danny

Post by danielo_danny » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:45 am

Hello,

This note will solve your problem

Note 931540 - History: repair MDAC installation

RMHouse

Re: Sapgui history problems

Post by RMHouse » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:58 pm

I just had a user who was having this problem, and our company is using ECC 6.0, SAP GUI 710 plus Vista.

All I did to fix it was move the database file from the SapWorkDir to his Documents folder, then when I went back into a transaction, entered a couple of customer numbers. Since SAP didn't locate the database files in the SapWorkDir, it automatically created new ones. I confirmed this fixed the problem in several transactions.

Thanks for all the good reading. :D

CLYDEBASSIE

Post by CLYDEBASSIE » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:19 am

RMHouse wrote:I just had a user who was having this problem, and our company is using ECC 6.0, SAP GUI 710 plus Vista.

All I did to fix it was move the database file from the SapWorkDir to his Documents folder, then when I went back into a transaction, entered a couple of customer numbers. Since SAP didn't locate the database files in the SapWorkDir, it automatically created new ones. I confirmed this fixed the problem in several transactions.

Thanks for all the good reading. :D
RM,
How is the SAPGui running on Vista? Pretty good? I heard of some issues earlier in the day but have not heard any complaints lately... I'm interested in buying a computer with Vista and wanted to make sure it's working properly.
break clydebassie.

salenganhel

Post by salenganhel » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:00 am

Thanks for all your reply guys. i already resolved the problem by repairing the MDAC.

many thanks to all of you.

jvaisanen

Sapgui history problems with SAPGUI 710 batch level 8 solved

Post by jvaisanen » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:53 am

Hi,
In our environment I got my SAP history data working by deleting file "SAPHistoryXXX.mdb" from folder "C:\Documents and Settings\XXX\SapWorkDir". Those XXX's are my windows logon name so in case you have samekind of setup replace them with yours.
BR,JP

chinthakap

Post by chinthakap » Thu May 28, 2009 5:58 am

Thank you very much for the reply.......

well. i dont have the accesss files and i checked with my friends and they have it.

pl tell me how to create the accsess file to avoid this issue

Snowy

Post by Snowy » Thu May 28, 2009 9:41 am

do not create it, SAPGUI has to do this for you. if it exist, delete it and reboot your PC.

chinthakap

Post by chinthakap » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:29 am

Dear all,

were you able to find a solution for this ? i also have the same issue still.

Tks

Snowy

Post by Snowy » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:10 am

chinthakap wrote:Dear all,

were you able to find a solution for this ? i also have the same issue still.

Tks
read the whole 4 pages topic and you will surely find a solution.