MSS - how to delegate to another employee

Human Resources (PM, OM, PA, TM ,PD)

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish, muhnkee_2

MikeNZ

MSS - how to delegate to another employee

Post by MikeNZ » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:48 pm

Hello

Does anyone have any clever ideas for how in MSS you can delegate approval authority to other users.

Example: Using MSS we have a Line Manager (chief position holder) who has access to approve leave for their team.

If Line Manager wants to delegate this authority to their Secretary or another more junior member of the team (without a chief position) - how can we do this?

Any ideas appreciated
Thanks

Count

mss-delegation

Post by Count » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:50 am

Hmm well I havent actually tried it hands on myself but I have a fair idea how I am going to do it in my current prj :

1. OM : there is a delegate relation in OM which needs to be maintained
2. Security: structural auths??? yet to figure out how this will work in this scenario,... but I guess u also have to give the same str profile the manager has to the delegate..... with a lil juggling of values in the profile..
3. In the portal however, this delegation will only route the UWL requests from managers worklist to the delegates UWL eg: leave requests etc... I am yet to figure out if some tweaking of workflow needs to be done here.

Well thats about what I have planned for this function, when I do get to doing it, I will be able to throw some more light based on my experiences doing the same. Hope this helps.

cheers
C
-------------------------------------------

Count
cognosce te ipsum, corripe cervisiam ;)

Dictator-for-life-of-the-Tuly-Idiot-Order
viewtopic.php?t=287109

MikeNZ

Post by MikeNZ » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:42 am

Thanks Count !

Yes am interested in the Security element particluarly - normally you can just create one structural profile using function module RH_GET_MANAGER_ASSIGNMENT and assign to all managers.

This should determine the employees that the manager needs to control.

However am pretty sure a rewquirement of this FM is that the chief position is assigned to the manager. As the secretary won't have the chief postion - not sure if assigning the structural profile will work. Not sure if the delegate relation in OM will pick up the chief postition relationship.

Therefore might have to create a seperate stru auth for each secretary?!?

Does anyone know if:
Not sure if the delegate relation in OM will pick up the chief postition relationship?

Count

Post by Count » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:14 am

OM will definitely not pick up the chief position upon delegation,

what I am planning to do is as follows :

1. will create a new profile, albeit with a new combo of evaluation path/depth/etc... for the secretaries,...
2. fine tune it by doin a lot of testing,... between a manager and a delegate,..
3. maybe even create profiles for different objects in OM,.. depending on the business requirement

But my current prj is still in the design phase and so it wud be some time before I get to do any of those above,... last but not the least, I do not rule out the development of a specific variation of rh_get-manager_assignment to suit my requirements .... to automatically get the delegate to be able to do a managers tasks.

HMM finally, any gurus here wud like to comment about my earlier staement
"3. In the portal however, this delegation will only route the UWL requests from managers worklist to the delegates UWL eg: leave requests etc... "
any opinion would be most welcome,.. coz am not too sure about the above stmnt,.. while logically it seems to be the only way this delegation on mss needs to happen.

cheers
C

Count
cognosce te ipsum, corripe cervisiam ;)

Dictator-for-life-of-the-Tuly-Idiot-Order
viewtopic.php?t=287109

rangachary

Post by rangachary » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:51 am

There is a standard substitution functionality on SAP R/3 workflow, and therefore in the UWL which will work for this. As I understand it, a delgate automatically gets all the access required to take action on a certain work item, and does not need special authorization for this. However, do not have hard data for this.
A Manager can chose a substitute/delegate for a certain date period. he gets to choose from a set of user ids for this purpose i.e no validation ois done to ascertain whether the delegate is an equal or higher or anything of that sort.
When a manager chooses a delegate using this functionality, the delgate relationship is automatically created in OM for the duration. I assume, by this relationship, some of the access rights of the delegator are assumed by the delgate for the purposes of the relevant work item only.

Hope this makes sense,

Thanks and Regards