can we use same payment method C for both citibank and hsbc

Financials (FI, CO, TR, EC)

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish, Baz, darkduck

jolinchew

can we use same payment method C for both citibank and hsbc

Post by jolinchew » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:54 am

Dear experts,

for check payment method, can we use same payment method C for both citibank and hsbc payment? can we assign different check lot for same payment method?

in fch2, I find one payment document is using check 02223056, but in my fchi check lot setting, I have so many check lot, how will I know which check lot 02223056 is using?

how to know the last used check in check lot 1?, I can't find the info in FCHI.

Jim B

Re: can we use same payment method C for both citibank and hsbc

Post by Jim B » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:03 pm

You can do it, but in practice, it will complicate things.

Some configuration is determined simply by the payment method, some by the combination of payment method and House Bank. In your case, I would assume hsbc and citi are separate House Banks. If so, the the check lot used will be determined by the House Bank and payment method. Consequently, it is entirely possible to have the same cheque number for both banks! Cheque numbers are unique by the combination of issuing bank branch, issuing bank account, and cheque number.

In practice this will cause confusion, and it complicates the payment program, as the file production then needs to branch depending on which bank, and therefore which file format, you are using.

It depends on your particular business requirements, but as general advice, if you only have the two House Banks (HSBC and Citi), I would probably use different payment methods for clarity.

As to the last question, in FCHI there is a button "Change Status" on the first screen and that will show you cheque number status (field PCEC-CHECL)

Jim

jolinchew

Post by jolinchew » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:57 am

in fch2, I find one payment document is using check 02223056, but in my fchi check lot setting, I have so many check lot, how will I know which check lot 02223056 is using?

another question: how to assign check lot to different check payment method/house bank?

Jim B

Post by Jim B » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:46 pm

You can determine the lot a cheque was issued from by identifying the House Bank and Account ID from the payment document, then lok in transaction FCHI (or table PCEC) for the the cheque lot for that bank account that includes the range of your cheque.

This is a bit convoluted, but I don't think there is a better way. The lot number is only stored in PCEC. The reason it is not easier is that normally you wouldn't worry much about the lot number, as the important tidentifier for the cheque is the cheque number, and the bank account (House Bank/Account ID combination) that the cheque was drawn from. When you encash the cheque, the system looks at the cheque and the bank account it was issued from - the cheque lot is really only an administrative/printing matter.

On the second question, I do not think you can change a cheque lot to point to a different bank account - but you could create a new cheque lot with the same lot number and number range for the new bank acocunt, and allocate that to the payment method in transaction OBVCU.

However, the configuration decision would be in how you intend to determine which bank should be used for a particular payment. For instance, you could specify in the invoice that House Bank HSBC is to be used, or put the House Bank on the vendor, or determine it by using a different payment method (as per your original question). This depends on your specific business requirements.

hope this helps,

jim

jolinchew

Post by jolinchew » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:23 am

thank you for the reply, I check table PCEC, but it only give the last check number of check lot.

given a check number 0241116, how would i know which lot it belongs to?

my second question, which is more important, OBVCU you can't run in foreground, instead I check payment method config, but in "payment method in company code/country" FBZP, how can we assign a check lot to a payment method?

I have 10 check lot per house bank/account ID, for example, in CIT01(house bank), account ID USD01, I have 7 check lot, how to assign check lot 2 to payment method C for cit01/usd01, and assign check lot 3 for payment method C for HSBC01/USD01(HSBC01 is house bank)? this is my concern

darkduck

Post by darkduck » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:17 am

I am pretty much concerned about the reasons of your questions.

What is the process you want to achieve here? Why can't you have separate cheque lots for different banks?
SAP FI FAQ: http://en.sap.darkduck.com

Just before submitting any question, have a look at http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html please...

darkduck

Post by darkduck » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:19 am

jolinchew wrote:I have 10 check lot per house bank/account ID, for example, in CIT01(house bank), account ID USD01, I have 7 check lot, how to assign check lot 2 to payment method C for cit01/usd01, and assign check lot 3 for payment method C for HSBC01/USD01(HSBC01 is house bank)? this is my concern
Variant for cheque print program specifies which HB you want to use and which cheque lot.
So, create 2 variants: CITI / lot 2 and HSBC / lot3.

Just before submitting any question, have a look at http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html please...

jolinchew

Post by jolinchew » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:28 am

we are using DME payment for electronic check. so my question is where you can assign check print program to payment method? what is standard check print program name?

I checked FBZP setting, we can only choose DME or classic program RFFO*

As I mentioned this is DME, so how we can assign different check lot for different payment method?

darkduck

Post by darkduck » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:55 am

I have never done cheques via DME, though I vaguely remember doing this via IDOC.

Not sure if this helps, but what I have found.

Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable
Business Transactions
Outgoing Payments
Automatic Outgoing Payments
Payment Media
Check Management
Define Number Ranges for Checks

There is a field "Payment methods list". Read F1-help for that field. And also, there is a link to Release information at the bottom of that help.
This may give you some direction.
Maybe not.