query FS10N report

Financials (FI, CO, TR, EC)

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish, Baz, darkduck

thesaint

query FS10N report

Post by thesaint » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:39 am

hello, please could one or more of you learned people help with the following question. our organisation have been waiting a while for a report to be written for us externally. what we need is the information in FS10N, ie, date / amount , along with supplier name, purchase order number, and purchase order line description. this information is contained within the line item itself but requires us to go into every line, we would like to be able to view this as a 5 or 6 field report. i have access to a sap query handbook, and i read the 1st 3 chapters last night which covered the basic quidelines on how to create a report using SAP query. i have 5 years SAP experience, but am comfortable in the knowledge that my level is well within the competent user category. is it possible and practical for me to create such a report using SAP query, or is it something that needs to be carried out by a program writer due to information being procured from different sources, ie, FI and MM? many thanks

darkduck

Re: query FS10N report

Post by darkduck » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:36 am

if you're not comfortable enough with idea that FS10N is balances report, and FBL3N is line item report (although there is drill-down from FS10N to FBL3N), you're not experienced enough from my perspective to start writing SAP Queries.
SAP FI FAQ: http://en.sap.darkduck.com

Just before submitting any question, have a look at http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html please...

thesaint

Post by thesaint » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:40 pm

i thought i'd self depracated myself already but there goes. i am comfortably in my areas of sap, i can problem solve 95% of things i need to, and i can create variants, manipulate data, etc. i have a busy finance role, so to spend any time on this would involve working extra hours. i am happy to do this providing i dont end up goin down any blind alleys. the feedback i was looking for was, is this report / query possible? if so how realistic /achievable is it for someone trying to using SAP query for the 1st time, etc?

MitchK

Post by MitchK » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:08 pm

Personally, I'd say that if you are not familiar with ABAP Dictionary concepts and have even a rudimentary knowledge of ABAP, I'd resist the temptation to use SAP Query. Whilst SAP Query can seem an attractive and easy to use tool, it is also easy to abuse. A badly constructed query can bring your system to its knees.

For what you are describing as wanting you are right in that you want financial and purchasing document information. The line item tables for these two can be huge. If you do not access the records with the best keys, and methods, you will get performance issues.

Also, for consideration is that SAP Query produces generic type code. Its not the most efficient. A bespoke ABAP is usually a much better fit for purpose and (should be) performance tuned.

My advice would be to use two reports to get what you want until you get an ABAP resource. Darkduck has told you the name of the GL line items report (FBL3N) and I would use info on that to run purchasing reports and then marry the reports together in excel.

Whilst your report is possible in SAP Query, its not one I'd recommend someone just starting in SAP Query to attempt.

Mitch

thesaint

Post by thesaint » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:23 am

thanks mitch, much appreciated

lovagszent

Post by lovagszent » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:12 am

Hi thesaint,
these are all good / wise advices above You should follow them - but if You insist on making a query, let me know, and try to help You.
(Once I was facing similar problem, and turned up, it can not be handled with query - but I did try a query to see.)
How far did You get? What exatly do You need now? What field and information should be inclueded? BSEG is a funny table does not like to be in a query, but a logical database might be found as well.
Br
Lovagszent