Where can I go that newbies are welcome

Discussion about non-SAP related issues: Inquiries, Personal & Commercial advertisements, etc. ( For registered users only)

Moderators: rtella, Snowy, thx4allthefish, The Prince Of Darkness

shygirl

Where can I go that newbies are welcome

Post by shygirl » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:28 pm

I asked for some really simple stuff relating to BW for myself a newcomer. I am discouraged by the few replies I have had so far. Is there another website or somewhere where people will be more helpful then?

bgamble

Post by bgamble » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:05 pm

Your best bet is to ask your questions here on the GD forum. and make sure to use URGENT on the subject line
In my opinion, Pepper Spray is underutilized as an effective tool for scope control

CLYDEBASSIE

Re: Where can I go that newbies are welcome

Post by CLYDEBASSIE » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:06 pm

shygirl wrote:I asked for some really simple stuff relating to BW for myself a newcomer. I am discouraged by the few replies I have had so far. Is there another website or somewhere where people will be more helpful then?
yeee and mention somebody's mum's preferably that of a moderator on GD (i.e. Snowy, Snowy and did I mention Snowy?)
break clydebassie.

swright

Post by swright » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:09 pm

Newbies are welcome but this is not a training site. If you are working in an SAP/BW/SEM etc system and need pointers for knotty problems or to exchange experiences* then you can find that at SAPFans.

What won't happen here is assisting non-experienced people (sometimes called Freshers) into positions where they take jobs away from experienced and/or qualified people, and then bombard this site demanding that we help them do a job they had no right to in the first place but got through lying on their resume.

I'm not saying that is your intent, I'm just putting you in the picture. It is something that some regular visitors to this site feel strongly about.

Regulars here recognise the difference between freshers and newbies.
If someone is new in a job and their team lead has just walked out and dumped them in the deep end we're willing to help out, providing reasonable efforts at self-help are explored, eg using the search.

If someone lies on their resume and then can't complete a contract because they have no idea what they are doing, we have no compunction in heaping scorn.

I'd suggest you look at getting a job at a site which is implementing SAP, learn on the job and apply what your learnt on your course. Go through an implementation or two to learn that there is more than one way to do things in SAP.

SAP is a business, it does not leave copies of its software lying around for anyone to play with and then try to sell themselves as an expert. SAP wants people who know what they are doing to make their product look good. (okay that last statement is probably a bit ingenuous)

* for non-SAP experiences anything goes in GD Forum
Sandi
~~~~

Tuly kiwi. Image

Putting the Chur in Christchurch, bro!

CLYDEBASSIE

Post by CLYDEBASSIE » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:15 pm

swright wrote:..

SAP is a business, it does not leave copies of its software lying around for anyone to play with and then try to sell themselves as an expert. SAP wants people who know what they are doing to make their product look good. (okay that last statement is probably a bit ingenuous)

* for non-SAP experiences anything goes in GD Forum
Sandy i love it when you preach, now let's do it bay-bay!
break clydebassie.

chrisandk

Post by chrisandk » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:26 pm

Shygirl, i assumed you work for the company named D***?

:shock:

shygirl

Post by shygirl » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:18 pm

:idea: I don't work for ANY company. I have been unemployed for almost a year and live in one of the areas with the worst unemployment in all of the usa. i am trying to get into a position that will relocate me. I have offered to work for FREE in SAP BW....for the chance to learn. and my uncle would loan me money. my mother's house was forclosed recently and her disability insurance was cancelled. sob story.

I didn't ask for training from you. I asked for a few specific things, but yeah, I can always use any extra help. I wasn't expecting the moon. While you all spend you time tooting your own horns because you are able to tackle the big impressive SAP questions on here, don't forget that that person you are helping is more likely to be a fraud than I am. This isn't about ethics, clearly, it's about the fact that I don't even have a challenge to offer you, so I am nothing but a joke because I can't make YOU look good.

And go ahead and lock the thread. I wasn't expecting Neo-gothic wiccan chicks with pink kittens in their signatures to just come bouncing along and begging to be helpful, but I did expect a little less snobbery.

mww

re

Post by mww » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:33 am

In US there are lot of opportunity in BW.
People from India are going there and getting the work in BW.
Only thing is you should acquire some quality training in BW.By wasting your time in GD forum you will not learn anything in BW.

And No company has policy of hiring employee without any pay.So forget that option.
mww

Rich

Post by Rich » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:19 am

but I did expect a little less snobbery.
This is not aimed at your ShyGirl, but in way of an explanation we get too many people on this site who have fraudulently got a position or a contract and then expect help in stuff that they should know already. (Basically as Sandi says).

On top of this, there are phases where people actually ask you to help falsify their CV. I'm not joking. Not only has it happened to me (3 times) but there are other people here who can also verify that.

So people can and do tend to be a bit touchy with 'newbies'.

As for learning SAP, again, has already been mentioned. Find a company already using it and try and get in there.
Regards

Rich

Abap KC:http://www.richard-harper.me.uk/Kb
SFMDR:http://www.se37.com

VLozano

Post by VLozano » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:27 am

I'm sorry about your story, but don't expect anything else. We are here for fun (in the GD), beer and/or sex (it relies on who we are talking about), not for drama.

If someone offended you in ANOTHER forum, just complain to its moderators, not here. Here you will get only a bit more pain, while you will get us a bit more fun.

And no, I'm not saying it because you are hindu, indian (dot or feather), black, white, green or yellow with pink dots (Hot Asien Teen's nipples). I'm pretty sure that if you show(ed) enough effort in your questions (ie, used the search, worked in the trouble and so), you get(got) help, or if not, at least respect.

I joined this place as a freshie, and never felt offended by anyone. Maybe because I'm the sexiest man never registered here, or because everybody is afraid of my impressive body-building and martial arts skills. Or maybe because each time I asked a question in its appropiate forum (it means, anyone but this one), I wrote all the options I tried, with all possible hints I found. And when I could not have an answer, I never cried (well, I did, but not in the forum) nor took offense because that.

People here doesn't earn a cent sharing their knowledge, and it means they are NOT forced to answer your, mine or the bloody pope's questions.

But if you want a place where any questions are fast solved (normally a dozen times per second, sometimes with an accurate answer and much less times without begging for points), move your keyboard to sdn.sap.com. They don't care about your efforts, skills, manners or personal story, if you are able to give them some coloured stars to get a SAP baseball cap.

I'm with sandy in this thread, and not just because I fell in love with her many years ago (as I did with Rosie -where's she?-, Jo and all SAP ladies around).
Tuly Idiots
Because we know we are part of the problem

m@t

Post by m@t » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:52 am

I joined this place as a freshie, and never felt offended by anyone
memo to self: must try harder.

m@t
TULY Image The quality of answers is roughly proportional to the quality of the question.

The downside of being better than everyone else is that people tend to assume you're pretentious.

abap_doctor

Post by abap_doctor » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:25 am

shygirl, I'd re-read this thread again and believe it! :wink: (Great post by the way chaps/esses!)

This is what we do here. We get so many questions with few words that would take a month to answer, that anything resembling that gets ignored or flamed. :P

If you search and can't find, then post a sensible intelligent question, we will help... If you get abuse after fulfilling this, let me know and I'll do something about it...

BTW: I have seen the post you are talkking about, and yes, it does seem a bit excessinve... Usually when this happens we lose the newbie for afew months.... I'll take another look...

Why not become one of us instead of fighting us... :D

One piece of free advice: expect anything in GD... :shock:

That includes sympathy where due, but you're just as likely to get scorn if you bring up melodrama for no reason... :?
The Doc
Tuly Idiot Magna Grand Docot Image

abap_doctor

Post by abap_doctor » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:56 am

I have reviewed the post in question...

I think the replies you get were (a little better than) normal for such a question. You can only know this if you have been a regular visitor for several months. If you can't see it, it is because you have no experience of it...

You will get to know and love us in time... :wink:

If you get serious abuse let me or another mod know and we can do something about it...

Usually complaints and suggestions go in their own forum (another foible of us lot here - we insist on the right forum for the right question!)

So to sum up: ask specific questions in the correct forum after searching for a previous answer, and if the winds blowing in the right direction, and the cock crows three times before breakfast, you may, just may, get a sensible answer!!!! :lol:

Just enjoy SAPFans, and it'll grow to be an invaluable resource!! :D

Good luck in all that you do... :wink:

And can I just say again, re-read this thread from top to bottom... It contains some vey good replies... 8)

wiccan chicks and pink kittens :? :? :?
The Doc
Tuly Idiot Magna Grand Docot Image

muhnkee_2
Location: where the sun is shining, drinks are cold and the food is good

Post by muhnkee_2 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:06 am

i have read and re read this posting and i think its time someone lowered the tone, so here goes:

lets try it again but this time in a lower C

thanks

greg
Author of Discover SAP ERP HCM
A high level introduction to the capabilities and functionality of SAP HR
Available now from SAP Press
http://sap-press.com/product.cfm?account=&product=H2989

MattG

Post by MattG » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:12 am

muhnkee_2 wrote:lets try it again but this time in a lower C
Is that 1 or 2 (or more) octaves lower?
Are we closer to middle C or further away?
Are we expected to all be on the same C?
MattG.
Image Search SAPfans